interesting dub chord / stab sounds...

- ask away
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: interesting dub chord / stab sounds...

Post by ::BLM:: »

AK wrote:My first attempt at this stuff came out like progressive house! -frown 2

ha yeah. there is a fine line between many genres and progressive house.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

::BLM:: wrote:
AK wrote:My first attempt at this stuff came out like progressive house! -frown 2

I tend to like bits of stuff from a few genres, I like dub style chords from dub techno, dark and brooding music from some forms of techno, deep house ep's, the techy side of tech house and the shuffle of straight up house. Somewhere in the middle of that is where I think I wanna be. :lol:
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

AK wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:

I tend to like bits of stuff from a few genres, I like dub style chords from dub techno, dark and brooding music from some forms of techno, deep house ep's, the techy side of tech house and the shuffle of straight up house. Somewhere in the middle of that is where I think I wanna be. :lol:
maybe you should just be a DJ :lol:
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

I think having an open mind about all sub genres of house/techno is the way forward. I just went through all my records and found some proper belters that I would have dismissed at some point because that particular sound got super trendy and at that moment in time I had heard enough of it. Now though, after not listening to a record for a few years I can go back to it with fresh ears and judge it for what it is.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

::BLM:: wrote:I think having an open mind about all sub genres of house/techno is the way forward. I just went through all my records and found some proper belters that I would have dismissed at some point because that particular sound got super trendy and at that moment in time I had heard enough of it. Now though, after not listening to a record for a few years I can go back to it with fresh ears and judge it for what it is.
I couldn't agree more.
in fact, AK's post before sounded very familiar.

if you've been buying vinyl for a while, you kind of fall into these "high fidelity" situations...
I mean, how do you organize all of them ?
By style first ?
I would think so, but then you got quite a few 12" 's that have maybe house on one side, and techno on the other side.
By label ?
only possible for the bigger labels, or the ones that you love so much that you have bought a lot of their releases,
because nowadays everyone but your neighbours cleaning lady's cat has his own little label...
by artist ?
sure, but what about these shared releases ?

(I'm going for a combination of those for the moment. First a rough selection by style, then by artists, with just a few labels havig seperate parts, but who knows how the situation will be in maybe one year from now)
diversity, it's a bitch sometimes... ;)
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Hades wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:I think having an open mind about all sub genres of house/techno is the way forward. I just went through all my records and found some proper belters that I would have dismissed at some point because that particular sound got super trendy and at that moment in time I had heard enough of it. Now though, after not listening to a record for a few years I can go back to it with fresh ears and judge it for what it is.
I couldn't agree more.
in fact, AK's post before sounded very familiar.

if you've been buying vinyl for a while, you kind of fall into these "high fidelity" situations...
I mean, how do you organize all of them ?
By style first ?
I would think so, but then you got quite a few 12" 's that have maybe house on one side, and techno on the other side.
By label ?
only possible for the bigger labels, or the ones that you love so much that you have bought a lot of their releases,
because nowadays everyone but your neighbours cleaning lady's cat has his own little label...
by artist ?
sure, but what about these shared releases ?

(I'm going for a combination of those for the moment. First a rough selection by style, then by artists, with just a few labels having seperate parts, but who knows how the situation will be in maybe one year from now)
diversity, it's a bitch sometimes... ;)
Yeah everything moves in circles so its only natural that you're going to be buying lots of stuff. Plus once you hear so much of a certain sound, you get bored and look for the next thing. Its nice though when you get to a place where you can just see it as music.

The records I don’t play are in the house in the living room ikea expedit.

The ones I do play are in sections. I have a label section, garage/dubstep section, non dance music, 10" + 7" section. And then a big mess which is all the recent stuff I have bought. The label section criteria is 3 or more from a label and it goes in there. The reason I created that was cause I have a ton of stuff from certain labels so like to keep it all together. At one point I put them all into alphabetical order, but when I moved house that got all fucked up and I could never be bothered to sort it all out again.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

This is why I don't listen to a lot of genre based music. I get distracted and end up wanting to sound like 'them'. Having said that, I have my idols. I really like a Model 500 track called 'Starlight' and I'm doing a cover of it and self interp. When inspiration is dead, at least it gets you going again.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

starlight is a classic. love that track.