interesting dub chord / stab sounds...

- ask away
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

interesting dub chord / stab sounds...

Post by cloutier »

so...this is one of my all time favourite dub tracks, and its been fascinating me lately since i'm finally really enjoying working on production - namely because i really want to know how he got most of the sounds in this thing.

most specifically the one stab that comes in faintly in the background, but the very metallic, random sounds that it has throughout the entire track. so gorgeous.

doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Re: interesting dub chord / stab sounds...

Post by John Clees »

great track. perhaps some specific eq'ing and some octave adjustments. with longer background loops with some one shot / off beat frosting additives... lol
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

there was a thread on here not so long ago about dub chords.

anyhow lots of reverb and delay needed. try playing chords with filter down.
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsankip »

If it's the gentle one in the back then you can achieve this sound in many ways. I just did a quick test and got a similar stab with a harf sample, LPF and a reverb (pretty long decay). For those percussive things you can use any sounds you want with a (dual, pan, whatever) delay and so on..

Edit: Lovely track btw! ;)
Last edited by tsankip on Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

yeah those dub chords are drowned in reverb... i'd try slightly detuned saw waves, with a very short filter envelope on the low pass filter. what you might want to do is get yourself a good reverb, because lot of the sound is defined by the verb used. if you want to go the software way; try a good convolution reverb (they can mimic the sound of real hardware reverbs by using impulses). use an impulse of a nice spring reverb, play with the eq on the reverb etc. even cooler would be to get yourself a real one 8)

nice track btw :!:
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Rein wrote:yeah those dub chords are drowned in reverb... i'd try slightly detuned saw waves, with a very short filter envelope on the low pass filter. what you might want to do is get yourself a good reverb, because lot of the sound is defined by the verb used. if you want to go the software way; try a good convolution reverb (they can mimic the sound of real hardware reverbs by using impulses). use an impulse of a nice spring reverb, play with the eq on the reverb etc. even cooler would be to get yourself a real one 8)

nice track btw :!:
I find almost any quality of reverb sounds great for dub chords. Some have a sort of digital grainyness that can sound great.
Bionic_Eye
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Bionic_Eye »

also try to resample the chords on a higher bpm
put it back in your song in normal speed
to create some grittyness
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

i find it useful to record a load of chords first then use the samples after. cause then you have the chords pretty much multimapped across your keyboard.