ZedR16 Problems already :-(

- ask away
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

ZedR16 Problems already :-(

Post by eggnchips »

Hey guys,

So I got the ZedR16 mixing desk as discussed in previous posts and have been having much fun with it, and enjoying the
new world of Analogue mixing.
I feel like King Tubby.
Anyway even though I don't have anything to compare to, I was thinking that the desk and outboard mixing
are great. The eq's are very crisp, which gives for a a very pure sound and I like this integrated DAW mixing capability, something I haven't fully worked out yet. (Seems that the volume into the DAW is controlled by the gains only and not the fader)

Anyway my problem....

I had a loop going through channel 1 today, went down stairs for a brew and left the loop looping as we do, for half an hour or so.
The volume was reasonable and the channel wasn't in the red, then all of a sudden the channel made an almighty pop and crackle and started to blast out white noise in bursts. I thought my speaker was going to blow out by the way it was moving in and out. I unplugged all leads going in and the noise continued with random bursts of activity.
I have found that switching the 48v phantom power switch in and off temporarily stops the outbursts but they soon return.

This I find quite disheartening considering I have only had it for a few days and I guess I will have to send it back, hopefully not having to pay any postage its return.
I wonder if Allen&Heath are dropping their standards since becoming big market players, and having their products made in China.
Has anybody else had this kind of experience with mixers, or furthermore Allen&Heath?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: ZedR16 Problems already :-(

Post by tone-def »

I wouldn't trust A&H for good build quality anymore. I'm always hearing about people having problems.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

what daw are you using?
does it just happen on just one channel?
does it happen if it isnt used as an interface?
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

somehow this sounds like a digital data streaming problem. i get something like this when my ADAT connection is set to a strange sample rate or out of sync with my fireface. I need to find an example on youtube to see if its the same thing. But i'm not sure exactly why this would be the case... is the R-16 plugged in via firewire? are you on macintosh?
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

This happens on just one channel, regardless of it being connected to the computer or not.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

sucks dude! :( :( makes me question a&h these days.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

I still want one though! Too bad I'm totally broke, probably can't buy any new gear in a few years, at least without selling something first.

Maybe I'll win the lottery so I can buy the magnificent Wunderbar console!
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

Damn! i feel for you. I never had a problem like that :o

Did you double check the post EQ, pre EQ, etc knobs next to the faders? Are you sure there's no digital feedback? does this happen also when it's not plugged to the computer?
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk