layering

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: layering

Post by oblioblioblio »

i guess this comes down to that typical Steevio minimalist methods that we've come to know, understand, misunderstand, love or hate or be indifferent to.

I noticed he mentioned that he cut a record to vinyl without using a single piece of eqing or compression anywhere between his synths and the grooves!!!

I think it's valuable, obviously everyone can do what they like, but in this instance, e.g. layering. I find I can get much more depth, thickness and life, by working in the synths, and getting as much as possible from a simple set of tools. As soon as I start messing around with layers I lose contact with the raw ability I have for expression.

meh. This post is sh!t, sorry about that, but it's hard to talk about this stuff.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

jessejames wrote:I layer religiously but I do it to realize unique timbres and add movement and life, not to make elements bigger or punchier.
i like this very much and is exactly what i do in my shaker patterns. e.g. I build like 2 - 6 layers of shakers and automate the levels over a varying amounts of time(short 1 bar loop to the whole track)
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:i guess this comes down to that typical Steevio minimalist methods that we've come to know, understand, misunderstand, love or hate or be indifferent to.
you dont need to get so personal bro, i'm just telling you what i do, and so is everybody else, its just a thread about layering. ;)
Last edited by steevio on Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

oblioblioblio wrote:i guess this comes down to that typical Steevio minimalist methods that we've come to know, understand, misunderstand, love or hate or be indifferent to.

I noticed he mentioned that he cut a record to vinyl without using a single piece of eqing or compression anywhere between his synths and the grooves!!!

I think it's valuable, obviously everyone can do what they like, but in this instance, e.g. layering. I find I can get much more depth, thickness and life, by working in the synths, and getting as much as possible from a simple set of tools. As soon as I start messing around with layers I lose contact with the raw ability I have for expression.

meh. This post is sh!t, sorry about that, but it's hard to talk about this stuff.
no its not... you are totally on point about this. I work in digital art and i know some of our concept artists that don't use layers in many aspects on photoshop because they don't need to. They can just paint on one layer and get the same work done to the same degree.

I'd say the same goes for this medium as well, if you have ultimate control of a sound and the way its recorded. you can make the most expressive sh!t ever. But its just a different technique.

I really like @michaellpenman's focused technique of layering two different sounds all together to create a snare. Applebite + Snare! pure genius. very inspiring for me. I think it would benefit to create in instrument with that like different velocity mappings and stuff so you could manipulate the expression over time and not have a static sound all the way through.

I like to take advantage of the technology for expression, this is why i layer all the time. I'm not one at the point where i can just paint in one go, i like to take my time to build and work to shape sound. Usually this involves layers.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Layers in photoshop is quite different. I've been a graphic designer for 10 years (although I'm pursuing more of a programming career now) and I think comparing layering up a snare in a track and layers in an ad is apples and oranges.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

hydrogen wrote:But its just a different technique.
everything is valid, i just voice my preferences just to outline one technique.

its interesting to hear why different people prefer to do things their way.
i was just trying to bring up a subject that is personal to me right now because i'm specifically experimenting with it.
i havent always done things this way, these are new observations happening in realtime, like almost everything i post on here.
i hope it doesnt sound like i'm set in my ways, far from it, i'm always looking for new options because thats what exites me in music.

i love hearing how people work on here, its so varied. :D
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Phase Ghost wrote:Layers in photoshop is quite different. I've been a graphic designer for 10 years (although I'm pursuing more of a programming career now) and I think comparing layering up a snare in a track and layers in an ad is apples and oranges.
Why do you think that? i know its not a perfect analogy but...
ICN
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ICN »

I like layering.. Didnt do it for a long time, but now I find that it adds weight & density.

Usually its the same sound that I layer, but an octave down, or higher - depending on whats right.

I'll fk with the velocities so that its subtle and not all max. Just a bit of extra oomph.