layering

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: layering

Post by AK »

It's a technique like anything else, shunning a technique is just wrong in my book because you immediately put on a blinkered outlook. Be opem minded to everything!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:It's a technique like anything else, shunning a technique is just wrong in my book because you immediately put on a blinkered outlook. Be opem minded to everything!
theres nothing wrong with shunning a technique if you get better results from a different technique.

in my case its isnt a blinkered outlook, its 'tried that, but this works better for me'
for me its progression.

i probably started off on the wrong foot by saying i dont layer at all, but then tried to explain that i do, but in a dynamic way.
rather than deliberately layering a sound so that it stays that way throughout the tune, i create potential for the layers to create themselves as the tune progresses, by selecting the sounds with that in mind, and sequencing deliberately to create those effects.
its just a different way to layer.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

I've started experimenting with layering a bit more. It's more a result of me selling all my gear and having to find new techniques because going from analogue drums back to software synthesis was hard. I take the more pure tones that I make with synths and layer something over the top to give it a bit more character.

This year has been the least productive since I started making music. Learning how to make layering work is probably one of the only positives I can take with me going into next year. I agree it's not as instant as just using a synth and you might sacrifice some control but the results sound totally different depending on what you layer.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i was just commenting that steevio has very distinct and characteristic methods and it's always nice to hear his views, which personally have value for me.

I didn't intend my post to imply that this thread was just about steevio's methods, and didnt put enough mention of the fact that he was wanting to start discussion on the subject with contributions from everyone.

sorry for directing attention in an unhelpful way.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:i was just commenting that steevio has very distinct and characteristic methods and it's always nice to hear his views, which personally have value for me.

I didn't intend my post to imply that this thread was just about steevio's methods, and didnt put enough mention of the fact that he was wanting to start discussion on the subject with contributions from everyone.

sorry for directing attention in an unhelpful way.
i did add a ;) bro, so no worries man.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

oblioblioblio wrote:sorry for directing attention in an unhelpful way.
you will never be forgiven! Always so unhelpful!!! geez! ;) lol.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Mono-xID
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Mono-xID »

i sometimes layer drumsounds...but when u choose the right samples at first there's no need for layering imo....
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

steevio wrote:
AK wrote:It's a technique like anything else, shunning a technique is just wrong in my book because you immediately put on a blinkered outlook. Be opem minded to everything!
theres nothing wrong with shunning a technique if you get better results from a different technique.

in my case its isnt a blinkered outlook, its 'tried that, but this works better for me'
for me its progression.

i probably started off on the wrong foot by saying i dont layer at all, but then tried to explain that i do, but in a dynamic way.
rather than deliberately layering a sound so that it stays that way throughout the tune, i create potential for the layers to create themselves as the tune progresses, by selecting the sounds with that in mind, and sequencing deliberately to create those effects.
its just a different way to layer.
Yeah I know what you mean, I think I remember you saying you don't use samplers/samples anyway so I can see how it would be kinda redundant for you. I don't go out of my way to layer anything but it's something I might do as and when.

How though, do you differentiate between any type of layering. Once you use more than a single oscillator, aren't you effectively layering already? I guess for me, I'd consider layering ( in the form I think we mean ) as static sample stacking. There are certain sounds I would keep static throughout a tune and others I would think benefit from subtle variation, for me at least, changing something even by minuscule amounts can sometimes have a negative impact but I guess that depends entirely on what that sound is and what function it has within the tune.

There's certainly tons of people who layer stuff though and there's loads of info out there re: techniques, even books on the subject but a lot of it assumes you use samples - at least for the techniques outlined. It's definitely more of a bigger thing in other genres though as far as I can tell.
Last edited by AK on Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.