sending tracks around that aren't released yet

- ask away
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

sending tracks around that aren't released yet

Post by Rein »

hi all, just wanted to know what your take is on this subject. if people ask you to send some of your tracks in hi-quality so they can play them out in their sets/podcasts, is that a smart thing to do when your tracks aren't released or anything yet? maybe someone can rip you off? stupid question maybe, but i don't have any knowledge on the whole copyright subject etc... :?:
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: sending tracks around that aren't released yet

Post by tone-def »

You can do whatever you like with your tracks. I only give my tunes to people I know personally or maybe if some big name asked me for a track I'd be cool with it. But some random guy off MySpace? No
hEADaCHE
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hEADaCHE »

I know some labels aren't too cool with tracks that can be played even if they cannot be downloaded. But then again, if you have no "name" then how do you gain any interest?
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Rein wrote:hi all, just wanted to know what your take is on this subject. if people ask you to send some of your tracks in hi-quality so they can play them out in their sets/podcasts, is that a smart thing to do when your tracks aren't released or anything yet? maybe someone can rip you off? stupid question maybe, but i don't have any knowledge on the whole copyright subject etc... :?:
more often than not tracks get out and can/do ruin agreements with labels. only trust people you have relationships with : and even then you still run the risk... but on the other hand sometimes its a good thing to get out and/or even just release it yourself. some of the smaller labels do hardly more than you can do yourself : if not less..
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

john clees wrote:
Rein wrote:hi all, just wanted to know what your take is on this subject. if people ask you to send some of your tracks in hi-quality so they can play them out in their sets/podcasts, is that a smart thing to do when your tracks aren't released or anything yet? maybe someone can rip you off? stupid question maybe, but i don't have any knowledge on the whole copyright subject etc... :?:
more often than not tracks get out and can/do ruin agreements with labels. only trust people you have relationships with : and even then you still run the risk... but on the other hand sometimes its a good thing to get out and/or even just release it yourself. some of the smaller labels do hardly more than you can do yourself : if not less..
What would be the best way to do this?
Would you be taken seriously or like another person in the many millions tryin to self promote tracks?
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

kristofason if the music is good and relevant I think you will be fine.

If you want to sell some ambient drones on juno then it might be hard, but if you're making house/techno there is a really good chance if the music is good that you could sell 300/400 copies.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

@BLM

i ended up taking what you said a bit personally. don't want to hijack the thread, but what gives one musician the right to say that their music is relevant?

Maybe some music is more niche than others but just becuase certain styles of music have wider appeal doesn't make them more meaningful.

No offence intended, was just feeling defensive, maybe i read too much into what you were saying and ended up blaming you for my own problem.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

oblioblioblio wrote:@BLM

i ended up taking what you said a bit personally. don't want to hijack the thread, but what gives one musician the right to say that their music is relevant?

Maybe some music is more niche than others but just becuase certain styles of music have wider appeal doesn't make them more meaningful.

No offence intended, was just feeling defensive, maybe i read too much into what you were saying and ended up blaming you for my own problem.
You defo took it too personally and read too much into what I said.

I didn't even mention meaningful or niche or anything like that. I think what I make would be classed as niche.

I'm just saying if you release ambient drones and then try and sell them on juno or say beatport you wont get far. It has to be relevant to what that particular store is selling.