Audio Interface Suggestions

- ask away
devontodetroit
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Audio Interface Suggestions

Post by devontodetroit »

Hi Guys,

I want to spend no more than £250-300 and I've got a couple of ideas already.. I will be buying second hand.

Focusrite Saffire Pro 10 (firewire)
Tascam US-1800 (usb)

or a MOTU 828mk1 and cheap MOTU midi timepiece..

This is the first part of my new studio so has to be right! My next purchase will be a nice 16-24 channel mixer to compliment.. Maybe something vintage, We'll see.

Has anyone had any experience with these soundcards? Any other suggestions i'm missing?

Thanks,

Luke
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Audio Interface Suggestions

Post by Barfunkel »

If you get the Focusrite, make sure you have a firewire chipset suggested by the manufacturer (Texas Instruments mostly). They can be quite picky, I know I have lots of problems with my Saffire, which can probably be traced to the wrong kind of FW chipse I have.
devontodetroit
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by devontodetroit »

Ok, Thanks for the headsup with that.. I'm leaning towards the Tascam, will 16 odd inputs be ok with USB2.0 ?
devontodetroit
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by devontodetroit »

lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I would be cautious of 16 inputs on usb 2.0, it was mentioned on a previous thread, that usb handles a data stream differently to firewire.
That said, my audio8 deals with 8 ins and 8 outs for hours so maybe it'll be fine?

I have had a focusrite saffire 26io ever since it came out. I did have one instance where the volume control freezed up, but other than that it has been rock solid. All firewire device can be picky about chipsets. Mine has worked fine on every computer I have used it with.
devontodetroit
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by devontodetroit »

Just got a Saffire 10 for £180, Very happy :)
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

michaellpenman wrote:i would of said the motu but to late now i guess

the focusrite converters sound really tinny. Not the best
great input.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Barfunkel wrote:If you get the Focusrite, make sure you have a firewire chipset suggested by the manufacturer (Texas Instruments mostly). They can be quite picky, I know I have lots of problems with my Saffire, which can probably be traced to the wrong kind of FW chipse I have.
I specifically bought a TI chipset firewire when I built my computer because I read they were the best. My saffire pro 40 works great with it. So this is probably true.

Why not just buy a new card? They're cheap.

To the OP, go with firewire dude.