modular etc etc

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: modular etc etc

Post by oblioblioblio »

I wouldn't call it purism and I would agree with Steevio's definition of improvised. I played in a improv noise act with some other people and the computer was always 10 steps behind any other instrument... I had to work really really hard to set the computer up to be jammed with and whenever I'd done that people have usually moved on. It was pretty much unusable actually.

That's probably a universally recognised gauge to determine how "live" your act really is.

Can you sit in a room with a bunch of other musicians and communicate with them and the room and the audience? Communication cannot be acheived with a prewritten list of words, although they will certainly help, it also requires spontaneous interpretation and reaction to novel messages received in that moment which most precomposed systems are not able to respond to.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

I didn't use the definition of food. now your twisting things into me using the definition of food at dictionary .com..
you are a quite a manipulator I see.. haha.. :o . it was an example given in the definition of the world improvising.
if you want to misuse the word : feel free. the definition of the world is not twisting it...
you used the word, (improvising) I pointed out the definition..
and your response what why don't you use wikipedia ?
that's even more amazing and adding words.
now your just digging a bigger hole,
for your back peddle...
:-flower
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

oblioblioblio wrote:
Can you sit in a room with a bunch of other musicians and communicate with them and the room and the audience? Communication cannot be acheived with a prewritten list of words, although they will certainly help, it also requires spontaneous interpretation and reaction to novel messages received in that moment which most precomposed systems are not able to respond to.
also, playing a live - jam session - is not what im referring to and it an entirely different point..
I agree whole heatedly : in that setting your playing off other individuals..
apples and oranges..
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

life is interpretation. the end.
this back and forth is pointless because I agree with your point, but also pointing out by definition of the word as well. you can have 100 ppl agree with your side, but by definition of the actual word, you're incorrect. I was just having fun with thought : as always.
best wishes.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

haha i misread your post, (food /found) i'm a dumbass...sorry.

ok we are are as expected going around in circles, but please dont deny that the most commonly accepted definition of 'improvisation' if you check almost every Google listing is effectively;

'to compose and perform or deliver without previous preparation'

this is what the majority of muscians mean when they talk about improvisation. we can argue the finer points of some definitions of the word in different dictionaries, but that is what musicians mean when they use that word.

in my opinion, and thats all it is, my opinion, if you are using pre-prepared loops or passages of music, then the music you are delivering is not 100% improvised..
i really dont understand why you cant accept that.

when i play on Ableton mixing loops and passages of audio, i may be improvising but the resultant music is not all improvised. and i dont have a problem with accepting that when i play.

by your use of the word, 'or arrange from whatever materials are readily available'

Then DJ'ing is also improvisation.

how far do you take the argument ?
do you use the commonly accepted meaning of a musical term by musicians in a conversation about music ?

or do you expand the commonly accepted meaning to encompass so many possible interpretations as to render the term almost meaningless ?

As a DJ, i would never describe what i do as improvisation, even though there maybe an element of improvisation in what i'm doing, purely because it's not a good description of what DJ'ing is in musical terms, because there is so much more to DJing than improvisation which is only a tiny part of it.

i think you have misunderstood me from the start, i value everything, improvisation, DJ'ing, playing live on Ableton, and all the shades in between, i do all of them myself, so why would i dismiss any of those things ? if i did i would be self-devaluing myself as a musician.

all i said from the start is; 'there is a difference'

and i stated my personal preference for improvisation over anything pre-prepared. thats all.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

i think it's simple as pre planned or not pre planned..
yes djing would be that too... some dj's play what ever the moment creates..
others play in order in a pre planned fashion.. to be safe...
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

lets agree on that then.

:)
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

steevio wrote:lets agree on that then.

:)

I think "moments" are "only" created when improvising, otherwise I think the musical direction would lose it's passion, and just be played without emotion...