Analogue mixers

- ask away
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Analogue mixers

Post by s.k. »

well i think there's no need to explain it exactly to you, i'm sure you know what i mean.. (@steevio)
anyway, when i get the cash needed i'm definitely buying a mixer too, if only for the looks of it :lol: who cares how it sounds...
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

s.k. wrote:well i think there's no need to explain it exactly to you, i'm sure you know what i mean.. (@steevio)
anyway, when i get the cash needed i'm definitely buying a mixer too, if only for the looks of it :lol: who cares how it sounds...
no seriously mate, i'm not sure what you mean.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

steevio wrote: if anyone here has only ever worked ITB then you cannot know the power of these techniques
absolutely !
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsankip »

Don't even know what ITB is...is that bad? :lol:
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

ITB = In the Box
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

steevio wrote:
s.k. wrote:well i think there's no need to explain it exactly to you, i'm sure you know what i mean.. (@steevio)
no seriously mate, i'm not sure what you mean.
bloody sunday...
i mean it sounds paradoxal to me because 'clipping' is supposed to be a digital operation - when the convertor cannot handle the amplitude it truncates the wave in the simplest ever way - to a flat line. same thing happens if you boost a file in soundforge above 0dB, or if you use ableton's saturator in clip mode - waveform gets clipped to a flat line. i'm aware that there are various ways to achieve this flattening by analog only, but i think that would not be defined exactly as 'clipping'. so - 'analogue clipping'... i dont know.

about overdriving mixers - sure i'm aware that there exists this very nice thing called 'analogue saturation' and that it rounds waveforms in ways that digital can't ever do. but what i was trying to say initially was that - the 'sweet spot' you guys are talking about is waaayyy beyond that point of mild saturation! that sweet spot comes when the saturation gets almost like a flat line, and the 'sweetness' of sound depends mostly on the amount to which you push the sound to that flat line. that is almost the same as digital clipping.

what i tried to say next was that, if you happen to use filters after the saturation process, it practically makes no difference if you saturated it with a mixer, or just clipped it digitally!

excuse me for any unclear expressions, hangover is hard
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

s.k. wrote: i mean it sounds paradoxal to me because 'clipping' is supposed to be a digital operation - when the convertor cannot handle the amplitude it truncates the wave in the simplest ever way - to a flat line.
but bro, analogue clipping was around before digital was even heard of.

clipping refers to the clipping of the tops of the waveform, in other words turning the wave more into a square wave.

i used to have a tube guitar amp called a Laney Clip in the 1970s which was so called because of the distortion effect of clipping.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

You guys just said he same thing :)

This is the debate really ITB vs OTB! Digital or analogue is it the same or is it? This kind of Brings me back to that slices video on they guy that made te Sherman filter bank. Talking about digital vs analogue distortions. And how when two sinewaves meet in analogue the calculation is quite obvious but in digital it makes no sense because of all the stepping.

I say fuk it... The technique is spelled out there... Just do what sounds good.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest