Re: Analogue mixers

Post by sorgenkind »

the topaz project 8 is 122cmX70cm
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I guess thats not too bad, but its still pretty big. To ship something like that abroad would cost loads in the UK.
But then we have got an amazingly expensive postal service that is somewhat of a lucky dip if it arrives or not! :roll:
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

eggnchips wrote:
For example: How do you go about cutting the deep lows on your kicks etc., without going back in the box and resorting to the soft eqs?

I understand the concept of overdriving to get a warmer sound, but is it the signal going in to the mixer you overdrive? Is the sound always better, or is it the distortion you are after?

Thanks.
you really must go for a mixer with cut and boost on your 2 mid bands, shelving on bass and top is usually fine, and many mixers have a sub cut button, which filters below around 60 or 75 Hz, fixed EQs are a waste of time.
once youve used a quality british analogue EQ you wont ever want to EQ in the box again.

overdriving is distortion but if its controlled, it doesnt sound like it, and you can go as far as you want.
this is the most important feature of a mixer for me, if your opamps dont distort smoothly, the mixer is no good to me.
you wont want to overdrive all your sounds, but for percussion its great.
nakoradiomies
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nakoradiomies »

yeah +1 used mixers! for example here in finland, this badboy for 590euros

http://muusikoiden.net/tori/nayta.php?id=568839

well it would need some small amount of fixing on aux section, but still..shame i don´t have enough space for it..:(

the thing is with new stuff, you really can´t fix them by yourself if something will broke down...
faders and pots are more fixable on older desks
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

sh!t, this ZEDR16 idea has thrown a big spanner in the works.
I've got 2 hours to decide whether to take the RME back as the shop closes, and I'm away tomorrow.

The fact that it integrates with the DAW is pulling me towards it.
Like I said I don't have many outboard EFX, so being able to send my channels to VST's is a top selling point.

Anybody anymore opinions on the matter?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

the only drawback of the Zed is the fact that you will eventually run out of channels, and much quicker than you think.
but other than that it looks like a good deal.
i dont think it will be a problem to sell it on in a few years time.

A&H build quality has been a bit suspect in the last few years, but i think they seem to have sorted it.
i had a 24ch A&H mixer a long time ago when i was running a small recording studio, and it was a superb desk, so warm sounding, as is my Xone92 once i had it repaired.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

The zed r16 also sounds very cool!

Believe it or not I was making the exact same descision 2 years ago. I kept the RME but wondered if the r16 would be better.

Came down to this for me. Portability. I knew I would always want a soundcard for traveling. The fireface fit the bill. Funny thing is I haven't travelled all that much with it... So... Maybe I'd e better off the the r16.

As far rad running out of channels go... I use a patchbay to help me deal with that. Sure I can't run everything at once but it helps me
Keep things organized when I want to pair up different gear.

Either way... The Rme is not a bad purchase it is a great card
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

remember if you ever buy a drum machine, it will eat a 16ch mixer alive.

you simply must have seperate channels for each sound, or whats the point of buying an analogue mixer.

just a thought