Boring 'what sound card should I get' question and some more

- ask away
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Boring 'what sound card should I get' question and some

Post by Phase Ghost »

eggnchips wrote:
Phase Ghost wrote:I've have Echo Audiofire's and a Focusrite Pro 40 and don't have a real complaint with either. The Focusrite will occasionally do a little drop out for a split second, but I'm not sure if that's the sound card or core audio fuckin up. It might happen once a session if at all.

The audiofire's (2 & 4) are built to withstand a dynamite blast. I had them daisy-chained with absolutely no problem. If I were in your shoes, I'd look at the Audiofire 8. 8 line in and out with adat and spdif. The only thing I don't like about the audiofire is there aren't any controls on the front panel. What's really nice about the focusrite is the volume knobs on the front along with 2 instruments/line inputs on the front. Both front inputs on the pro 40 have optional phantom power that can be controlled per channel. That's nice if you plug in mic's and guitars on occasion, but don't always have them in. Obviously, a patch bay could solve this problem easily, but it's proved to be very useful for me.

MOTU has a great reputation, but will cost twice as much as the one's I mentioned.
If you like them both, and the Focusrite seems to have more control/features, why do you recommend the Audiofire?
Good question. I guess it would be because the Focusrite has a little audio hiccup once in a while as I already mentioned. By the way, I used it all weekend without one hiccup, so you can take that for what it's worth. Also, I didn't mention before, but sometimes I'll need to turn it on and off when I first boot up my computer because it doesn't boot (or whatever you want to call it) properly. These extremely small glitches that don't bother me in the least. It takes 2 seconds to power it on and off and the other problem is very rare and I'm not sure that it's actually the sound card or the computer (hackintosh on 10.6.8).

The audiofire setup I was using didn't ever have any audio glitches, but it did have a very annoying problem where the audiofire 2 would sometimes load itself as a different device. basically, it would load as either Audiofire2(1437) or Audiofire2(0000). My macbook would think they were two different devices and I would have to switch it in the setup depending on which it decided to load. I just made two different aggregate devices and picked whichever was loaded.

The audiofire 12 doesn't have adat which is a deal breaker for me. The 8 does though. All in all, I'd pick a product from either company in a heartbeat.
michaellpenman wrote: i would say no to the focusrite. there unstable and have bad converters
Bad Converters? Explain.

I just recorded a synth into logic and then plugged the same synth directly into the mixer and played the same sequence. I'm A/B'ing them and can't hear any difference at all dude. If the converters were "bad" I should be able to hear something, yeah? Just curious.
agodi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by agodi »

lem wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:i have no idea what that is.

im pc btw.
can you not just run two patch cables from output to input?
I'm sure you know how to route it in most daws, u must be talking about outside the daw.
can you configure outputs to duplicate other outputs? like you might for a monitor/headphone mix.
Be careful as this can cause feed back. You can get around it by turning off the input monitor of the track thats recording.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Phase Ghost wrote: Bad Converters? Explain.

I just recorded a synth into logic and then plugged the same synth directly into the mixer and played the same sequence. I'm A/B'ing them and can't hear any difference at all dude. If the converters were "bad" I should be able to hear something, yeah? Just curious.
I don't think he has ever used one before. I never really here any difference with mine either.
It's not like you listen to music and are like 'you can hear those convertors man!' or 'this tune would sound better if it was made with RME convertors'
If convertors were bad you would hear them, I know loads of people that use behringer ada 8000 through ADAT. Try searching it on Gearslutz.

I think if you were making sample librarys it would be important, and if you had ever spent any serious time with the likes of a Prism interface you would be critical of others. But most of us will never get that kind of oppertunity.

I think you could possibly notice a difference between a Motu and what you previously had, but that goes without saying. If you want why don't you save £3000 and get a Prism interface? It will be better.
If you own a Motu and get a Focusrite you might not notice much difference, I know I don't.

I'm done. ;)
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

I definitely can hear the difference with my Focusrite. In a busy mix, probably not, but when isolating low frequency sounds there's this slight, nasty distortion type of thing going on. Basses don't sound as smooth as the original signal.

And my sounds are going through a cheap Mackie desk anyway, with a better desk the difference would probably sound even more obvious.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

lem wrote: I think you could possibly notice a difference between a Motu and what you previously had, but that goes without saying. If you want why don't you save £3000 and get a Prism interface? It will be better.
If you own a Motu and get a Focusrite you might not notice much difference, I know I don't.

I'm done. ;)
On this subject.... the Audio Myths Workshop is quite interesting... There is a section on there about converters and recording with a creative soundcard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTlN6wjcvQ

for me... I got an RME FF400 for 2 reasons. Drivers/Stability and Sound Quality(Good S/N ratio/Converters). #1 Best investment I've made in the studio. I was using internal soundcard, echo Indigo I/O and Echo Gina 24. The echo's were good enough to get me by but... no where near as tight as the RME in terms of the stability.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

hydrogen wrote:
for me... I got an RME FF400 for 2 reasons. Drivers/Stability and Sound Quality(Good S/N ratio/Converters). #1 Best investment I've made in the studio. I was using internal soundcard, echo Indigo I/O and Echo Gina 24. The echo's were good enough to get me by but... no where near as tight as the RME in terms of the stability.
That's an important point too. I just messed up a recording today because one of the channels stopped working properly during the recording. The Focusrite I have also has problems with it's outputs, sometimes I have to reboot it like every 15 minutes because it doesn't put out any sound. I'd be glad to pay extra for something that at least works as it should, even if some mythbuster tells me every converter sounds practically identical.

Now, if I only had the money for something proper...
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

sh!t, I walked in wanting a MOTU ultralite and came out with an RME Fireface UC.
Opps.
Hope it's worth it.

1 more thing:
I bought the UC as they didn't have the Firewire version.
Will there be a big difference?
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

firewire vs USB? right? i think you made a good choice... I know 4 or 5 people with these RME cards. Its a solid investment.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest