Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Boring 'what sound card should I get' question and some

Post by Phase Ghost »

michaellpenman wrote:firewire 800 is better than usb 2.0

but usb 2.0 is a little better than firewire 400
Define "better".

USB 2.0 has a higher max data transfer rate of 480 mb, but has to be routed through the cpu and and any speed is completely dependent on the motherboard, cpu and all the processes the computer is handling. Firewire doesn't have to route through the CPU first and the data transfer rate is independent of any other things going on. Also, the max speed of 480 for usb 2.0 can't be sustained for long periods while firewire's 400 mb transfer rate can. So, firewire 400 is actually better.
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

I also read this somewhere. Hence why firewire is most widely used for "pro" gear, versus USB 2.0 and more so for audio gear.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Phase Ghost wrote:

Define "better".

USB 2.0 has a higher max data transfer rate of 480 mb, but has to be routed through the cpu and and any speed is completely dependent on the motherboard, cpu and all the processes the computer is handling. Firewire doesn't have to route through the CPU first and the data transfer rate is independent of any other things going on. Also, the max speed of 480 for usb 2.0 can't be sustained for long periods while firewire's 400 mb transfer rate can. So, firewire 400 is actually better.
I agree but an advantage to usb is that its much more common on laptops than firewire.
I do like the motu for having both types of connection. I think this is a unique feature. would b nice if all manufacturers got on board.
I think things like midi, usb, and firewire. great lasting technology that benefits the consumer.

I hope you are pleased with ur purchase eggnchips!
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Phase Ghost wrote:

Define "better".

RME and Apogee wouldn't agree with you.
sheet1
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sheet1 »

the new duet (*)
HIC808
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by HIC808 »