gear + dust

- ask away
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: gear + dust

Post by lem »

Phase Ghost wrote:
lem wrote: i still really want to know what a G4 or G5 is tho!
I think he was referring to an Apple Mac Pro.
Ohh, LOL. No never, I won't spend more than £600 on a computer ever again. Complete waste of money.
I actually haven't spent the money, I am just sitting on it at the moment. I have started building a modular but am not sure if I will still be in a postition to buy more equipment.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Phase Ghost wrote:
lem wrote: Funny how there are two 2nd gen DSI products already. I have always been tempted by one but I am not a big fan of DCO's. Although I haven't played a Juno which I always perceive to have the best DCO sound.
To be fair, it's only collecting dust because my modular has taken over almost all synth duties. I did turn it on over the weekend though. Whether or not you like the sound (which I do), it has a unique sound. A bit of a pain to program though.
Maybe you should try that Ctrl software Hydrogen posted a link to. I know you then have to tweak in software, but it could be a better way to get use out of it?
I had a Microkorg and the software editor was a lot better than trying to program it from the hardware.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

lem wrote:
Phase Ghost wrote:
lem wrote: Funny how there are two 2nd gen DSI products already. I have always been tempted by one but I am not a big fan of DCO's. Although I haven't played a Juno which I always perceive to have the best DCO sound.
To be fair, it's only collecting dust because my modular has taken over almost all synth duties. I did turn it on over the weekend though. Whether or not you like the sound (which I do), it has a unique sound. A bit of a pain to program though.
Maybe you should try that Ctrl software Hydrogen posted a link to. I know you then have to tweak in software, but it could be a better way to get use out of it?
I had a Microkorg and the software editor was a lot better than trying to program it from the hardware.
I'll check out the ctrl software.

I actually bought the Mopho software editor, but it was the buggiest piece of sh!t I ever used.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Phase Ghost wrote: I'll check out the ctrl software.

I actually bought the Mopho software editor, but it was the buggiest piece of sh!t I ever used.
LOL! I'm sure we all know how it is. It's a shame not to use something that you love because of the interface. I had a Nord G2 Modular and it really was the best sounding VA I have ever used. It could do pretty much anything you could think of, but I just found myself rarely using it. Building sounds envolved far too much clicking for my liking.
It's gone to a good home now.

Are you a Max4live user? I think that the Tetra device will work with the Mopho. As they share the same CC's or NPN's.
I have been using Max a fair bit and have found my greatest use of it is building controller devices for various midi synths. They all fit in the Device bit at the bottom of Ableton, and I can store patches and recall settings when I load up my project.

This Cntrl thingy looks promissing, I am not sure if it has the same features as I have mentioned about max. But its free and should get a good consumer base and thus a comprehensive library...
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

yeah i dont sell very much gear, but the one thing that was collecting dust was the Prophet 08, so i let it go.

this thread is not a good advert for DSI

all my crappy old 80s digital synths dont collect dust because they are vertical leaning up against the wall.
waiting till they are worth more than £50 then they'll be on ebay.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

steevio wrote:yeah i dont sell very much gear, but the one thing that was collecting dust was the Prophet 08, so i let it go.

this thread is not a good advert for DSI

all my crappy old 80s digital synths dont collect dust because they are vertical leaning up against the wall.
waiting till they are worth more than £50 then they'll be on ebay.
yeah it is a shame, i really want to like dsi. at least there is another 'analogue' synth company out there. its also the closest a lot of people will get to a true analogue polysynth. i love the way you can buy extra modules and add more polyphony etc...
all they have to do is make a discrete VCO and i think you would have a serious contender for moog.

btw i didnt mean literally collecting dust lol. my 909 was always covered when not in use. as is all my gear.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

lem wrote:
btw i didnt mean literally collecting dust lol. my 909 was always covered when not in use. as is all my gear.
i know mate, i was only joking (crapply)
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »