Drumsynthesizer // Analog // whatelse??

- ask away
hnrk303
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Drumsynthesizer // Analog // whatelse??

Post by hnrk303 »

Hi guys,

also wanna buy a drum machine. i was considering Jomox X-Base 999. sounds really fantastic to me but quite some $$$.

does anyone use it?

besides someone experience with Elektron Machinedrum SPS-1 MK II ???

are there alternatives which are less expensive??

thx!
Last edited by hnrk303 on Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Drumsynthesizer // Analog // whatelse??

Post by Barfunkel »

I used to have the Jomox 999 but I sold it a few months ago. It sounds good by itself but it's quite difficult to make sit in a mix in my opinion. The samples also have this harsh quality to them, which started to annoy me after the honeymoon was over.

Now I have a Vermona DRM 1 mk III, which I much prefer over the the Jomox. Sounds better, easier to use, knob for each function. A lot cheaper too, you can typically buy them second hand for 350-400 euros. No sequencer though.

One option at the Jomox price range is an Elektron Octatrack. Just load it up with a bunch of drum samples and voi la, you got a great drum machine with one of the best sequencers in the market.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

go vermona or modular.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Barfunkel wrote:One option at the Jomox price range is an Elektron Octatrack. Just load it up with a bunch of drum samples and voi la, you got a great drum machine with one of the best sequencers in the market.
octatrack has an awesome midi sequencer! parameter locks on CC's is totally awesome and programming the notes is quite easy. i also like the sampler portion of it but i'm just getting warmed up to that.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
hNRk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hNRk »

go vermona or modular.
what would an example for a modular be?

how much of tweaking do you have to put into a modular for drums till you get good results compared to a drum machine like the jomox or vermona?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

hNRk wrote:
go vermona or modular.
what would an example for a modular be?

how much of tweaking do you have to put into a modular for drums till you get good results compared to a drum machine like the jomox or vermona?
you can't really compare them, its a totally different process, the drums are just part of everything, they can interchange with the other sounds - sh!t i'm not going to go there, its all too much to explain in a simple post.

not trying to promote myself here, but its hard to find videos of techno drums on a modular, he's a couple of short videos of mine, the live one is distorted from the camcorder, but you get the idea.. kick drum is Mbase 01, everything else percussive is the modular.

hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

i thought you were using a 909 for the percussion!? sounds bad ass!
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

hydrogen wrote:i thought you were using a 909 for the percussion!? sounds bad azz!
no i only use the 909 as a clock source now, no sounds apart from the occasional flitered clap

all the drums are modular, and the modular triggers the mbase