Soft synth tuning question.

- ask away
konzee
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Soft synth tuning question.

Post by konzee »

I'm comparing NI Massive & Sylenth 1.

On the oscilators, sylenth's tuning perimeters are 1-4, on massive its like 0-100, how does sylenths tuning work? seems like I wont be able to match certain keys using both synths.

thanks for the help in advance! you guys are great.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Soft synth tuning question.

Post by lem »

From what I can gather, sylenth has four different tune controls for varying degree's of accuracy. The tuning '1-4' that you mention is the tuning for an octave then 'note' which is semitone and 'fine' which is +/- half(?) semitone. I don't own Sylenth its just what I can remember from my experience from it.
Massives -100 to +100 is semitones, I think. Not at my computer to check at the moment. But I think that the tuning goes to decimal's for fine tuning. So you could tune it to +12.50, (+1octave and half a semitone) for example.

It should state all this in the Manuals?
konzee
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by konzee »

makes sense! thank you.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Tuning on the majority of synths is set to A/440hz so everything conforms to 'concert pitch' -which is the current tuning standard. 100 cents = a chromatic pitch either up or down.

Like has been said, you will generally have an 8ve ( octave ) control switch to switch it up/down 12 semitones and a fine tune knob which deals in 100ths of a semitone - but in my experience and synths, they usually have + or - 50 cents.

2 separate things there to be aware of and I guess you've already guessed, as an example, playing a C note, then upping it by 50 cents will leave that note midway between a C and a C#, likewise, playing a C# and detuning it by 50 cents, leaves you the exact same pitch. When 1/2/3/4 occurs, you can be sure it's the 8ve switching. :)