Programming a nice kick with the Mbase11 ?

- ask away
tosh
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Programming a nice kick with the Mbase11 ?

Post by tosh »

Sometimes i am trying to get subbases out of it also in notemode but if i just want a normal kick, i prefer the other mode.

But i am not soo much into the mbase. I dont use it so often.
tosh
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by tosh »

So i just played around today and this is the result if u want to hear...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14976215/Tosh-% ... Dub%29.mp3
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

That's a 909 bass drum. Perhaps it's processed, but it sounds like a 909 to me.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Phase Ghost wrote:That's a 909 bass drum. Perhaps it's processed, but it sounds like a 909 to me.
What the Pronsato track? I thought that when I heard it but I didn't say anything co's I know nothing at all about the Mbase or what it's capable of. I very nearly got one of these, does it not do TR-like kicks that well?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i think whats being missed here, is the fact that overdriving a kick through an analogue mixer can completely change its character so that its often difficult to tell what it is.
the Bruno track sounds like a 909, but its definitely overdriven. thats what makes it phat. it doesnt sound compressed at all. it could be an mbase, but its hard to tell on that clip. Portable's will probably be a sample.

the mbase 01 and consequently the mbase 11 are very capable of producing 909 and 808 type kicks, overdriving it can produce a wide variety of phat kicks. (but only if you do it analogue of course)

i have the mbase 01, and i've gone from loving it to hating it, back to loving it again. its way louder than a 909.
if i run a 909 and mbase emulation next to it, with the signal peaking at 0db, the mbase sounds about twice as loud.

but you cant quite get the mid range oomph out of the mbase that get with the 909.

its something to do with the harmonics control, its the one thing i dont quite like about the mbase, it never nails that 909 sound exactly, but man its a big phat kickdrum, ive used it exclusively for my three new releases, with the 909 switched off.
its the first time i havent used the 909 kick since i started 18 years ago, so for me at least that says something.

edit; analogue mixer overdrive (but alot depends on the quality of your mixer.) is a thousand times better than using a digital or project studio analogue compressor, to get what you're after, unless you've got the money for one of these beasts;
http://www.thermionicculture.com/produc ... ulture.htm

my mate has one of these, its unbelievable.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I think I'm confused.

There is no video to a Bruno track, the one he posted is by Portable and that is a 909 no? Brunos kicks sound nothing like 909s to me.

It would have made sense if the original poster put a link to a track by Bruno.

deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

the portable kick sounds like a mbase11. did almost a similiar one on another track.
have to look if i saved it. normaly i record it and use it in battery cause the midi of the mbase sucks.
but who knows how he processes his tracks or eqs his bd.
for a track i was mixing into a tube comp. then i got some new better gear and thought i could leave out the tube comp but i had to use it because of the slow attack settings the bassdrum got a certain organic kick i couldnt achieve without that comp.
techno made me do it
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Has anybody tried the software from Synapse? I know it's not the same thing here but I'm wondering if they had the Mbase in mind whilst designing it. http://www.synapse-audio.com/ekspro.html

There's a demo - but for some of the kicks I have heard other software kicksynths generate, I reckon this is pretty damn good. GUI is basic but hey. I like how it's easy to tune, pressing shift whilst using the coarse tuning and then using the fine tune, you get a bang on chromatic pitch tune.