Programming a nice kick with the Mbase11 ?

- ask away
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Programming a nice kick with the Mbase11 ?

Post by hydrogen »

Phase Ghost... I'm back to using samples and synthesis for most of my drums. I'll sell you mine if you are interested.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Care to elaborate why you don't use it anymore? I should state that I'm happy with the kicks I've been making and recording. The problem is sometimes I'd like to make small adjustments to kick mid track, but can't really do it with a sample.
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

My Mbase is going unused because I can make kicks just as good or better with Tempest. With Mbase, you can't really make adjustments to kick mid track unless you use CC. The knob is practically useless for finite adjustments. Problem with CC info is that you can't control all parameters but enough to throw in some variation.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Phase Ghost wrote:Bumping this thread to see who's still using an Mbase. Steevio, are you still using yours? Still liking it? There's a few on ebay for decent prices at the moment and thinking about grabbing one.
no problem here with my mbase, infact people keeping asking me what i was using for kicks on my new release.

no problem changing things mid track for me, i just program the changes into seperate memory slots, and program change from slot to slot. piece of piss.
i dont find the knob useless either, its easy to dial in changes, like EQ, tune etc on the fly, you've just got to be slick at it,

i was one of the people who gave it bad press in the past because of its inaccurate 'digital' tuning, but i got used to it, and to be honest if you can tell much difference between increments on the knob (other than with pitch) you've got a way better ear than me.

its certainly not perfect, but its good enough for me and i'm a sad perfectionist. its a very LOUD FAT kick drum, way louder than my 909, and blows heads off in a club.

i think a lot depends on whether you play live or not. for me its great for live in a club, if you're into spending hours on your kick sound, then maybe there are better options.
Last edited by steevio on Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Phase Ghost wrote:Care to elaborate why you don't use it anymore? I should state that I'm happy with the kicks I've been making and recording. The problem is sometimes I'd like to make small adjustments to kick mid track, but can't really do it with a sample.
Because the kicks i'm wanting aren't straight up techno kicks. if i just wanted that simple bass click boom i think this is a great device... but i'm generally blending my kicks up with others and having an analogue kick that is changing against my static sample causes all kinds of phase shifting that i don't like. So now i just statically make a kick or multi-sampled kick thats controlled with velocity and that's it.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

hydrogen wrote: ....but i'm generally blending my kicks up with others and having an analogue kick that is changing against my static sample causes all kinds of phase shifting that i don't like. So now i just statically make a kick or multi-sampled kick thats controlled with velocity and that's it.

I find eqing (although a workaround) works in these sort of situations. Although its not ideal. But I always make quite big notch cuts into my kick drums anyway. Most of my analogue kicks have no high end to them at all.

But to get an analogue type kick I sometimes gate a continuous sinewave from my kickdrum.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

lem wrote:But to get an analogue type kick I sometimes gate a continuous sinewave from my kickdrum.
A game changer for me lem. This is exactly what i'm wanting. Thank you. I've been experimenting with the dubstep style of building the sub bass parts for everything else separately and it seems to be the only way to keep up with the new style of sound thats been coming out.

PhaseGhost if you want the mbase11 let me know. I really think its a great unit if you are looking for that kind of bass... especially live. Personally for me i'm just in the studio and i'm trying to dial all that stuff in. I like keeping the sub in the box for some reason.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Glad you enjoy bro! :)