Hardware Synthesizer: Analog // Digital // Virtual Analg

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Hardware Synthesizer: Analog // Digital // Virtual Analg

Post by steevio »

Casanova808 wrote:
yes i know those guys did amazing things with horrible synths, and that is because they are way more talented than us peasants.
but i'd still like to hear what derrick would do now with whats avaiable now. not enough of those guys do anything anymore.
times have moved on, theres better production values on even some of the demos on this site than on some of the old classic records.
I wouldn't say production values are better, they are just different. It is like the difference between the production sound of early 60's garage rock records, vs early 80's garage revival records. Technically a lot of those early 80's records are more well engineered, but a lot of them sound thin and weedy compared to those old muddy 60's productions. I think techno and house in 2011 are in the same boat. You have better sounding records that are way less interesting.

The trick is to use a similar process, but say things musically that were not said on those old records. I think when you get away from the lo-fi aspect of house and techno you lose a lot of the charm that made them good in the first place.
i think its a silly argument we're having because some lo-fi stuff is awesome, some is sh!t, just the same with modern technology. if you knew me, you'd no ive always been into raw music, never liked well polished material, but there's a concensus amongst most of my friends in music that some of the new production skills are blowing away the old cobwebs.

lo-fi for the sake of it and trying to capture the charm of those records which owed more to the energy of the times than any equipment is pointless as far as i'm concerned, no-one, not even the legends themselves can pull it off now. i say let it go, but thats me.

ive done it myself when i was in a band, all the correct guitars and amps and pedals for garage rock, when i look at the proponents of it now, they look so contrived, and i think sheesh 'did i look like a dickhead like that when i was doing it?', its so forced it doesnt work. still had fun though.