mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Hardware Synthesizer: Analog // Digital // Virtual Analg

Post by Opuswerk »

I'll add my 2c :)

For morphing pads sounds i got 2 synths:
Mks70 which is analog
Waldorf microwave XT which digital

For the mks, you really need to grab the controller, as it is a pain to edit from the front panel, the xt is a digital beast in itself, it can morph trhough wavetables, use types of filter i never heard of in analog synths and is much more hands on than i thought at first.

Thos 2 are quite cheaper than the voyager, albeit very different sounding.

Hope that helps
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
hNRk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by hNRk »

thx so far! this thread helps a lot (-)
Voyager RME - u cant go wrong.
yeah took a look at that one! u can easily integrate this one into a modular system right??

but it doesn't have this touchpad from the voyger... u think this is a loss?
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

cosmosuave wrote:
steevio wrote:
cosmosuave wrote:
Stomper wrote:
hNRk wrote:im considering buying a hardware synth. As the subject suggest i am right now thinking about which kind of synth to buy - analog - digital - virtual analog -
there are 2 kinds of analog. one that is controlled by voltages and the other is controlled digitally. virtual analog are by all means a digital synths. there are also some hybrids that combine digital controlled analog and some parts are digital.

from my experience, digital controlled analog synths tend to sound thin so i rather have a digital one. voltage controlled synths gives a fatter and wider sound than any other kind.

if money is not an issue, get a modular ^^
Not to knock modulars but he wants morphing pads and not once have I seen or heard a demo that has done so... It's always some crazy blippy sh!t at least on Matrixsynth...
haha

a modular is perfect for making morphing pads.
Post an example not something multi tracked...
i get a feeling your under the impression modular system must be monophonic...?
its all about how you build your system.
the OP says budget is the last thing on his mind and he does not care that much about presets and recalls. in that case modular is the best way to go. you build it by what you need and change it if your needs changes.
cosmosuave
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by cosmosuave »

No I understand that they can be polyphonic and this would depend on how many VCO modules you have... The thing I'm saying is that I have never heard a good example of lush pads from one... Recently saw a demo of the Obie 8 voice and was blown away although not modular it sounded fantastic...
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

morphing pads is all about envelopes and modular have the biggest selection of envelopes in the analogue world.
Casanova808
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Casanova808 »

I am kind of going the other way right now. I don't think synthesizers really matter.

I am coming to the conclusion that your studio should be 90% processing and recording gear, and 10% sound generation. There is no point in having a bunch of high dollar synths if you can't massage them and capture the sound accurately.

So buy a DX100, an MPC, and a mastering unit. Then put all of your money into a good mixer and four solid chains worth of boutique effects. If a synth costs more than $150, it isn't worth owning.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Casanova808 wrote:
So buy a DX100, an MPC, and a mastering unit. Then put all of your money into a good mixer and four solid chains worth of boutique effects. If a synth costs more than $150, it isn't worth owning.
i'm pretty sure you are joking about the $150

i make my effects with the synthesizers, i dont use effects. i think of effects as inferior synthesizers.. each to his own i suppose.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

cosmosuave wrote:No I understand that they can be polyphonic and this would depend on how many VCO modules you have... The thing I'm saying is that I have never heard a good example of lush pads from one...
the operative word here is ONE.

do you really assume that all modulars are the same, that there is some sort of standard modular ?

a modular is anything you want it to be, it can be the most sophisticated synthesizer in the world or just a filterbank. the only limits are your imagination and wallet size.

i have a fairly modest modular with 7 VCO's i can make increadibly complex pads if i want to.

there is also coming soon a polyphonic VCO module from Tiptop audio,

if the OP has an unlimited wad of cash, then a modular is a no-brainer, but prepare for lots of research and a steep learning curve.
Last edited by steevio on Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.