'sub' bass tech bass something something

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: 'sub' bass tech bass something something

Post by AK »

The trouble is, you're not getting upper end bass if you are just using a single sine for your low end, then you could theoretically have a big gap in the frequency spectrum where you'd normally fill out with more fuller/harmonically rich waveforms.

Depends on the music I guess to some degree, I've heard tracks where there's a lot of melodic movement which comes down quite low, almost functioning as a bassline with certain notes. Underpinning such a bit of music with a sine bass here and there might well work in that context as the audio spectrum is filled out above it, but as a fully functioning bass, it could prove awkward.

from my own experience I can say I get much better bass by the way you just said, nothing inherently complicated about it, using the filter cut off to remove more higher harmonics to whatever is needed. Subtractive synthesis 1:01

BTW, that Pronsato track sounds like a sine to me but with an almost kick-like pitch envelope on it which greatly enhances its presence.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

hydrogen wrote:starting to think that sine wave as low end is not as useful. better to use a filtered square or saw that already has some of the fundamentals you need and smooth them out with a filter.
ive been trying to say this for years on the forum, bass is easy.

why go to all the trouble of messing about with layering different sines and waves when an ordinary pulse/ square or saw has a fundamental sinewave in it anyway which is perfectly in sync. theres no need to add a sinewave sub, just use a pulse or saw an octave lower, and filter it to taste.

all the classic preset patches in synths eg 101 bass, Moog bass etc.. are exactly that.

if you want a more dirty bass, then adding a sub can nicely rough up the waveform and create some interesting timbres, but if its smooth subby bass you want just use one waveform.

if you want something a bit more techy theres nothing nicer than linear analogue FM, but i'm not sure many synths have it available in a useable form for bass, but its freely available in modular form.
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

A sin wave in a real science book, not modern audio books, is a straight line, not the curved shape that everyone is familiar with...

The reason goes hand in hand with the concept of orthogonality. Gravity being the reason that our linear vector system in incapable of representing the linear wave as a line, therefore we have a curve in real life and not a straight line. a paradox

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthogonality
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclidean_vector
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

NoAffiliation wrote:A sin wave in a real science book, not modern audio books, is a straight line, not the curved shape that everyone is familiar with...

The reason goes hand in hand with the concept of orthogonality. Gravity being the reason that our linear vector system in incapable of representing the linear wave as a line, therefore we have a curve in real life and not a straight line. a paradox

which has nothing to do with what we're talking about bro...

edit; sorry man, i know sometimes i'm a grumpy twat, but the state of mankind sometimes gets to me, and it bleeds into my everyday reality.

greedy bastards running the planet, destroying the environment, religious fanaticism from all sides, people are not free, people are dying and in insidious slavery, dictators replaced by arms manufacturers and pharmaceutical corporations, inept greedy souless politicians, oil companies sqeezing every last drop out of money out of what is left, at the same time as delaying the alternatives that could save us, and what is worst of all - ordinary people like us actually believing we've never had it so good with our fucking gadgets.

so the last thing i'm going to say on here is - learn it all yourself, its more wholesome and more fun that way, switch off the internet, we all managed without it before, its a shopping mall,

turn some dials, touch the electricity, feel the currents, but most of all put as much positivity and soul into your music, even if its tinged with melancholy and darkness, its the one thing we can do that has more power than any bank, dictator or multinational.

sorry for the rant.
:)
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

fine, it still doesnt have harmonics.

but please explain why it's unrelated. vector space is very related to music, tuple, duple, etc... in my understanding the orthogonal concept is basically gravity in action, the diagram is half the cartesian plane. is this not the reason why the sine wav takes on the snake shape and not a linear figure?

please enlighten
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

NoAffiliation wrote:A sin wave in a real science book, not modern audio books, is a straight line, not the curved shape that everyone is familiar with...

but none of this exemplifies the original point you were making, which was that there were more harmonics in a pure tone other than the fundamental. It's a pointless pursuit to delve into anything deeper than human perception because we are, obviously human, and we experience the universe based on the limitation of our senses. Whatever else is happening at macrocosm and microcosm is not relevant for this argument and is totally unrelated to the point you made originally.

BTW, I'm not trying to be argumentative toward you, I just question the things you said originally because I disagree. I watched some cymatic experiments where sound created form, vibration is everything, so how can you have a linear wave,? How is it a wave if it is linear? A paradox you said but also, according to that, we need to REMOVE gravity in order for a sine wave to become a sine linear? Where's the logic in that and how does it relate to the point you made? So, remove part of the functioning universe in order to defend your point? That's just nonesensical, sorry.

Nothing ( as far as I am aware ) in this universe, is linear. ( See String theory ) :)
Last edited by AK on Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

steevio wrote:
NoAffiliation wrote: the state of mankind sometimes gets to me, and it bleeds into my everyday reality.

greedy bastards running the planet, destroying the environment, religious fanaticism from all sides, people are not free, people are dying and in insidious slavery, dictators replaced by arms manufacturers and pharmaceutical corporations, inept greedy souless politicians, oil companies sqeezing every last drop out of money out of what is left, at the same time as delaying the alternatives that could save us, and what is worst of all - ordinary people like us actually believing we've never had it so good with our fcking gadgets.

so the last thing i'm going to say on here is - learn it all yourself, its more wholesome and more fun that way, switch off the internet, we all managed without it before, its a shopping mall,

turn some dials, touch the electricity, feel the currents, but most of all put as much positivity and soul into your music, even if its tinged with melancholy and darkness, its the one thing we can do that has more power than any bank, dictator or multinational.

sorry for the rant.
:)
Dude, totally feel you on that. I was waiting for freemasonry to appear but yeah man, totally.