software emulation discussion

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: software emulation discussion

Post by steevio »

whether something is an accurate emulation of an analogue synth or not doesnt really concern me, emulations will keep getting better till i'm sure someday no-one will be able to tell them apart, but the one thing you can never emulate is the feel of analogue controls. there really is no comparison to direct contact with the currents. when you turns those knobs on a real analogue synth you can feel the difference.

whenever i mess with controllers and soft synths, they feel dead to me, and i cant wait to switch on my analogue stuff.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

it's hard to hate on emulations without coming across in an arrogant elitist way, but to me there is no way to get to exactly the same places with emulations.

people designing with proper electronics can work the circuits so much better. the amout of resources which are necessary to properly emulate something make it unrealistic to do a really close job of getting it all right. analogue can do calculations that a computer simply cannot do, especially with feedback, computers can only see one thing at once, an analogue circuit has infinite points of consciousness.

yeah yeah i'm an elitist hippy twat.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

^^^

its not elitist or arrogant, its just what you prefer. there are many advantages of software over hardware, (lets not start another drawn out discussion on that one)
plenty of people have hardware nowadays, there's nothing eletist about it.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

steevio wrote:.whenever i mess with controllers and soft synths, they feel dead to me, and i cant wait to switch on my analogue stuff.
This.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest