cliched minimal sound

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: cliched minimal sound

Post by AK »

I just don't give a sh!t, couldn't care less what 'Tom/dck/&harry' are doing, my point is ( and I'll always stand by it ) is to just be yourself musically. If 'fame * fortune' come your way, jobs a good un, but the driving force should never be financial. I despise sell out guys. -frown 2
bipedal103
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bipedal103 »

thanks AK for your candid replies.
are there established guys here that are willing to shed some light on the state of things production wise anno 2011?
pvt also ok.. i am fairly good with logic, NI plug-ins, maschine...etc

p.s. just listening to maya jane - low key..the girl is wicked
[url="http://soundcloudhelper.com/soundcloud-promotion/"]SoundCloud Promotion[/url]
bipedal103
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bipedal103 »

ok also.
if you look at spastik by mr. hawtin let's say one of the fminimal staples.
this was just a drum machine, an 808 or 909, whatever. but sequenced with what? it's not the built in seq. someone mentioned this a while back on this forum, i think it was JPLS that mentioned this..
also if you look at mpx309.. voorn said somewhere, as far as i can remember, that it's nothing but a 303 & 909, hence the name. i would also add probably a lexicon mpx reverb, if you judge by the name.. and the sound, but it could be any gated reverb..
[url="http://soundcloudhelper.com/soundcloud-promotion/"]SoundCloud Promotion[/url]
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

shits the same as it was in the 80's just more computers. dunno there are so many gear lists options out there best thing you can do is just to get something and do something with it. doesn't matter what it is.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

there is no right answer to your question. different people use different things but the most generic is normally made with this;

crack copy of Ableton Live. some use a crack of Reason, Logic or FL Studio.
sample packs for drums. most of these have stupid names like 'Minimal Nation'.
Native Instruments softsynths or any other software companies with big marketing departments.
copycat mentality, no imagination or ability to think outside the box.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

what hydrogen and tone def just said.
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

so in this thread does the term cliched really mean poor quality or generic = poor quality? the methods people are talking about is how newbies produce and i would argue that the newbies haven't made enough of a dent in the music industry to create a "cliched" sound, just a glaringly amateur sound that no one knows about cause it doesnt get released.

the world cliche isn't really appropriate because it's subjective in it's own nature

what about dub detroit echo-chord delay type minimal? that sound could be called cliche but only because of people's own nostalgia and perception at a given time. all the worrying about not being generic and whatever just reminds me of my days in art school where that's all they talked about and as a result no one made any tracks.

others might not agree but music has never been about the subjective content for me, well maybe only 50%. If a "generic" track is produced by someone skilled and has all the depth, space and texture that i want then i like that record and that artist. that's what the newbs don't understand, you can buy all the sample libraries and still not sound like a GOOD "generic" minimal track because there's more to it that just the sounds and patterns
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

heres my feelings on what cliches in music means to me.

the big staccato downbeat on every instrument that ends too many rhythm and blues tunes (i mean the old R&B not todays incarnation)

the aging rockers unecessary brass section and sequined suit, when he wouldnt have been seen dead with those on stage in his prime.

certainly not a drum riff on a machine, just because thats what is likely to come out of that machine no matter who is at the controls.

one of my favourite tracks of all time - Invisible Bitchslap by Levon Vincent, the most simple minimal beautiful drumbeat ever, and yet that track is so individual.