cliched minimal sound

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: cliched minimal sound

Post by steevio »

Barfunkel wrote:Do you guys think it's even possible to make any new minimal techno that isn't a cliche? Or have all the possible variations of stripped down sounds, chords and melodies been used already? If it has to be techno and if it has to be minimal, there's only a limited amount of combinations available I think.

Of course you can always use some weirdo non-standard sounds, weird time signatures, non-western tunings or scales and so on, but when you go down that road the music quickly turns into something that would be hard to classify as minimal techno.
this is what i always expect to hear from anyone who doesnt experiment.

what is it with this 'weird timesignature' bollox. there are only time signatures, not 'weird timesignatures'

have you ever really tried to write in signatures other than 4/4 for any length of time ? persevered at it ? or do you just go straight back to 4/4 as soon as it seems like its not working ?
you might supprise yourself.
i've just written a load of tunes in 9/8,7/8, and 4/4 and sent them off to labels, all of whom accepted the tracks and are going to release them, i played a DJ set of all these tunes to a dance floor full of people on saturday night, and no-one - label guys or dancers mentioned anything weird about the tunes or even knew they werent all in 4/4. (please dont think i'm just bragging or something, i'm just trying to get a point across)

if you havent ever persevered to write in other time signatures then really you cant comment on it, and call them 'weird'.
once you've spent time with a non 4/4 time sig. then it starts to become normal to you, you start to know where to put accents etc.. to make them work. if you go at it with the same mind set as you do with 4/4 it wont work. ive spent most of last year working in 9/8 and 7/8 not because i was 'trying to be original' but because i could. it was so enjoyable, so fresh to my 4/4 battered brain.

the same goes for non-western tunings / scales, please tell me what is wrong with using these ?

this is such a narrow minded way to look at music, i'm not flaming you personally here, there are plenty of people who will say the same thing, its a reaction to the whole 'anyone who experiments is weird and you can't dance to it anyway', and worst of all 'is trying to be original and forcing it which is a cliche in itself' thing.

it's bullshit guys. minimal has a long way to go yet.
Last edited by steevio on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

did you put a 4/4 bassdrum beneath the 9/8 sequences or did you work with broken beats?
techno made me do it
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

deccard wrote:did you put a 4/4 bassdrum beneath the 9/8 sequences or did you work with broken beats?
both

75% of the stuff ive done over the last 8 years has been broken beats, but i'm enjoying using a 1/1 kick at the moment.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

When you say 9/8 or whatever does that mean for that particular sound you have it looped for 9 bars?

This is what I do with my hats or other perc. Not really sure what im doing (in terms of theory) but I like the effect that it creates, so use it all the time. This is just a small section too, just to show you guys.

lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

::BLM:: wrote:When you say 9/8 or whatever does that mean for that particular sound you have it looped for 9 bars?

This is what I do with my hats or other perc

So the project looks kind of like brick laying kinda thing? I am finding it hard to explain what I mean. But after every 8 bars a pattern is shifting forward by a bar?

To be honest I always used to think that was polyrhythms. But I don't think it is now.
Makes a simple pattern go a long way.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:When you say 9/8 or whatever does that mean for that particular sound you have it looped for 9 bars?

This is what I do with my hats or other perc. Not really sure what im doing (in terms of theory) but I like the effect that it creates, so use it all the time. This is just a small section too, just to show you guys.

not quite sure what youre showing me there bro, but it looks like 3 parts looped over 6 bars alternating with silence, its 4/4.

if the time signature on the sequencer says 4/4, then its most likely 4/4

change the time signature to 9/8, then you're working in 9/8
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

You can use different time signatures in one piece of music. So your hats can be 5/16 as in the example above while your kick is a 4/4. I guess that the piece is then poly rhytmic as well. You should use the search, i think some guys here explained clearly what poly rhytmic is a few months ago...
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

^^ yes thats what I mean.

That’s essentially what I was asking; just that screenshot wasn’t clear at all as it cut off when I uploaded it.

So sometimes I just loop 7 bars which creates something other then the normal 4 bar way of working. And if I do it a lot in a track with lots of different parts looping on different bars it sounds quite good.