How long have you been producing until first release?

- ask away
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: How long have you been producing until first release?

Post by deccard »

steevio wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:At what point do you think one is at their musical peak? If there is such a thing..
there is no such thing.

if you change music styles you can have a peak in each one. i've probably changed styles completely about ten times now, i started as a drummer in an acid rock band when i was 11 and probably hit my peak when i was 21 when i released my first records in that style, then i was a bassist in a punk band in 1977 and probably hit my peak after 2 years...... and so on and so on.
i probably made my most commercially successful music to date as a guitarist in a psychedelic grunge band when i was 38. at the same time i started making warehouse techno in 1991 and was most successful at that around 1996, age 41, then moved onto minimal around 1999.

i'd say ive got many more years before i hit my peak in modular techno as i'm still learning, but after nearly two years i'm ready to release my first album in my new style age 56.

i'd say its bullshit that your brain only develops till age 40, it depends what you mean by develop. you are still making and breaking neural pathways long into your old age, my dad is 86 and he runs a successful business on ebay making and selling rare engine parts, he's totally computer / internet literate and he didnt know what a computer was 10 years ago.
oh that article didnt mean that your brain doesnt work anymore after 40. it reaches its fully functionality or is grown up at the age of 30 till 40. let´s say the genetic program is then completed.

the other thing is what you call a peak in your carreer is just a small bump for other artists who dont change their styles all the time. getting back to that approach would be paul simon now a succesful minimal producer if he started that after his "peak" in pop music? i doubt that.

personally i keep it more like stephen king once said that talent is like a knife. some have small ones and some bigger ones but it matters how good you sharpen it.
techno made me do it
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

deccard wrote: oh that article didnt mean that your brain doesnt work anymore after 40. it reaches its fully functionality or is grown up at the age of 30 till 40. let´s say the genetic program is then completed.
yeah i didnt read the article, (i will) but i'm still not convinced that it reaches its full functionality at a certain age. they used to think (very recently) that brain cells cannot be replaced, that they just keep on dying off, now they know that it isnt the case and that they can be replaced right up to the moment of death. scientific knowlege is never complete, and i think that its only wise to accept current knowlege as only part of the picture, especially when it comes to the brain.
we still dont know what that huge percentage of the brain we dont use is for.

if you see the neural pathways as paths cut through an immense jungle, and when we use those paths frequently they become wider and easier to follow, and if we stop using them they become overgrown and lost back to the jungle, then its easy to imagine that the brain is increadibly flexible and capable of increased functionality at any point in your life, with only disease or death as a limitation.

edit; i think many people just get lazy when they get to 40, they think theyve done it all.
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

you can still learn and develop lots of things after 40, you generally stop learning at the moment you think you have reached something. that's also the moment to take another direction and learn something else.
but this is all very personal
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

One of my favorite quotes. In fact, I have it laminated and stuck on my wall at work.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

jessejames wrote:"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

One of my favorite quotes. In fact, I have it laminated and stuck on my wall at work.
I don't really care about these "facts" but this is true until the day i die. Thanks Jesse.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

plus one that the mind is totally fluid and mysterious.

my friend was saying that apparantly old memories are constantly being created, like, that no part of the brain is fixed read only memory, it is constantly being forgotten and then recreated. like a flickering filament light bulb.

and fucking hell, most of what we know we don't really "know" anyways, we just tune our brain to *not* know and instead LISTEN.

to all you young fuckers or old bastards who prove statisticians wrong, keep fucking doing it.
Last edited by oblioblioblio on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

and yeah, most people in our current society who claim to understand the mind are total frauds and should never be trusted.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

release is a vague word. i put out early crappy music via a netlabel, and I played some gigs early on. i learnt valuable experience from both.

the rush to put something out is dangerous... the end goal of making music is not to be a musician and wear a fucking badge. but i don't see any reason to limit yourself unless it's for creative reasons.

some of favourite peices of music of all time were released by very young musicians with relatively little training.

thats not an excuse to be halfarsed about anything though.