Thought of the day. Analogue Sequencers

- ask away
catchpenny
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Thought of the day. Analogue Sequencers

Post by catchpenny »

Opuswerk wrote:
catchpenny wrote:I hooked up numerology to a bcr2000 and its been fantastic.
Can you expand on this please? I'm very curious to know how you can use the bcr 2000 as a numerology interface...
I make improvised techno

I just have 1 instance of the mononote sequencer and map a rotary knob to each of the pitch sliders and also map a button to each of the mute buttons on the velocity row. I select my key and then just jam around till something sounds good.

personally i rewire it into ableton where i have different channels on the bcr mapped to various soft synths and drum racks etc

I have some scripts set up that let me change the midi input on each softsynth to either numerology or my midi keyboard by launching a particular clip.

next I'm going to be looking a little deeper into numerology and see if i can adapt my set up to do more interesting things wit it.

hope that was clear.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

deccard wrote:
steevio wrote:working with analogue sequencing for the last two years has sped up my workflow, given me loads of inspiration, and has changed the way i work forever.
i've just finished writing an album of tunes (12) in two months straight, that would have taken me 2 years previously working with software sequencing, mainly due to procrastination and getting into too much detail.

but all analogue sequencing is not equal, i built my own complex sequencer from modules, because most typical analogue sequencers have limitations which would have meant me having less options than i had previously with cubase. ok it may be way faster, but if the sequencing isnt complex enough, you can end up with loopititus, and cliche'd grooves.

i think the best way to get the full benefit of real analogue sequencing is in combination with equipment that can send and receive triggers and voltage control, ie modulars, analogue synths etc, so that its a holistic rather than a linear process.
what do you think of the urzwerg pro? for 480,- euro what could i get in eurorack land comparable? besides the portability....
to be honest i dont know, i havent tried one, it looks ok for the money and its midi.

like everyone else i thought analogue sequencing was about 16 step boring sequences till i started with my modular and realised that absolutely everything is down to the sequencer in the end, and that more attention needed to be paid to how that all works. with software sequnecing you have almost limitless possibilities, so whats the point of buying a clunky analogue seq. ? then it became apparent to me that its about feedback loops, its difficult to explain to anyone who has only ever used software sequencing, but i'll try.
software sequencing is a linear process, everything starts with the sequence, with a modular sequencer, the seq. is in the middle of the process, theres no start or end point, the sequence itself can control the sequencer, the sequencer is just other modules which can be connected in many different ways, signals which are triggering envelopes to create sounds can be fedback to the seq. to stop/start/reverse/ etc etc... its pretty much endless what be acheived.

my choice of seq. modules as an equivalent to the MFB what be; 2 x Doepfer A155 + 2 x Doepfer A154 seq. controllers as a starting point which could be expanded with such modules as A150, A151, A152, A156 to create a seq. capable of increadibly complex self generating sequneces and polyrhythms.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

thanks for the info. so the mfb seems to be a good price. but i read a lot about bad build quality. also friends have problems with mfb quality. kind of the behringer of synths. we´ll see. there seems to be a new doepfer seq module coming too.
actually i would like to get the mfb for studio + live but i dont like it to fall apart after some use...

anyone got the doepfer dark time?
techno made me do it
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I have been looking at the Dark Time for ages now.

Could I also use it to trigger samples from itb?
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

yes you can send midi with the dark time. the two rows can have different midichannels.
techno made me do it
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

deccard wrote:thanks for the info. so the mfb seems to be a good price. but i read a lot about bad build quality. also friends have problems with mfb quality. kind of the behringer of synths.
yeah, i have an MFB triple VCO in my modular, and when it arrived i thought it looked cheap and nasty, however it works well, and i havent had any problems with it.

i think they are meant to be cheap, theres a few corners cut in construction, but it actually sounds fine, in fact i now use one of the three Oscs for all my bass needs, and to be honest it sounds better than all my other VCOs for bass, including expensive ones such as the Livewire AFG.

so i reckon the electronics are well thought out.
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MarcAshken »

yer, i got an oberkorn mk3 a few months back and I want an snd sam now, im slowly moving out the box and an analogue sequencer gives me another way to work that isnt achievable in the box without a hell of alot of mouse work, also opens the door to so many happy accidcents I almost feel like im cheating when i make music now, is well worth it