Anyone have a MFB 522 Drumcomputer?

- ask away
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Anyone have a MFB 522 Drumcomputer?

Post by blizt »

I bought a sample pack for 5-10 $ from a dude who sampled the box with high quality gear and I think it sounds good.
ray parry wrote:yeah i have made a few tracks now with this drum machine. its cool, but the kick sounds a little flat i think.
For me it's what I like the most. It's 808 style kicks but without being an 808 and that's right for me. More diversity. I also love the claps with very short ADSR, I think they fit well in my tracks.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

blizt wrote: For me it's what I like the most. It's 808 style kicks but without being an 808 and that's right for me.
you should have gotten a jomox xbase888.
fantastic kicks and tout court all round great machine.
I love mine.
but I guess you pay a bit more than for an MFB 522...
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

Hades wrote:
blizt wrote: For me it's what I like the most. It's 808 style kicks but without being an 808 and that's right for me.
I love mine.

I really didnt like the 888 or the 999 when I had a play on them. I have the kick drum module also and didnt like that either. I find the Jomox sound to be really sterile. I had my first play on a 909 the other day and I fell in love straight away. I had it in my studio for 2 days and I got so much done with it. It's just instant house and techno.
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

Hades wrote:
I love mine.
Yeah but it's a lot more money and I'm in the way of starting to build a small modular setup, so I can afford any drum machine for a long time. Another 808 style machine that's sound very interesting is the ACIDLAB miami, and I think is a little less money than the jomox. MFB 522 is really cheap, I might end up buying the box some day for more live control.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

ray parry wrote: I really didnt like the 888 or the 999 when I had a play on them. I have the kick drum module also and didnt like that either. I find the Jomox sound to be really sterile. I had my first play on a 909 the other day and I fell in love straight away. I had it in my studio for 2 days and I got so much done with it. It's just instant house and techno.
I didn't like the 999 either when I first tried it, nor the 888.
Got one anyway because I figured it was the best analog drum computer I could find.
I'm very glad I did.

Seriously when I think of sterile, I think machinedrum.
defenitely not jomox !
Did you try it at some lousy setup in a shop, perhaps through shabby headphones ? Or did you try it on a proper set of monitors in a properly treated room ?

I love its sound, and I love its interface.
I even love the old computer keyboard buttons they used like the ones they used on the 909.
I believe the 909 and 808 are absolute classics, but I also think jomox did a great job at taking them into the 00's.
I haven't compared them A to B, but if I look at video's where they do an A to B comparison, I can't really hear much difference, and defenitely not enough to justify me cashing out the extra 800$ for the original that's bound to break down some day sooner than my jomox.
It beats me how you can call the jomox stuff sterile when they sound so much the same as the originals, even with an extra oumph.

And just for the record : I'm not some huge jomox-fan. My 888 actually broke down 2 days after I received it new (got repaired and works like a breeze now though), plus I owned an airbase before and didn't like it, but that was interface-stuff, not the way it sounded.

I guess it's all a matter of personal taste, as always... ;)
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

Hades wrote:
ray parry wrote: I really didnt like the 888 or the 999 when I had a play on them. I have the kick drum module also and didnt like that either. I find the Jomox sound to be really sterile. I had my first play on a 909 the other day and I fell in love straight away. I had it in my studio for 2 days and I got so much done with it. It's just instant house and techno.
I didn't like the 999 either when I first tried it, nor the 888.
Got one anyway because I figured it was the best analog drum computer I could find.
I'm very glad I did.

Seriously when I think of sterile, I think machinedrum.
defenitely not jomox !
Did you try it at some lousy setup in a shop, perhaps through shabby headphones ? Or did you try it on a proper set of monitors in a properly treated room ?

I love its sound, and I love its interface.
I even love the old computer keyboard buttons they used like the ones they used on the 909.
I believe the 909 and 808 are absolute classics, but I also think jomox did a great job at taking them into the 00's.
I haven't compared them A to B, but if I look at video's where they do an A to B comparison, I can't really hear much difference, and defenitely not enough to justify me cashing out the extra 800$ for the original that's bound to break down some day sooner than my jomox.
It beats me how you can call the jomox stuff sterile when they sound so much the same as the originals, even with an extra oumph.

And just for the record : I'm not some huge jomox-fan. My 888 actually broke down 2 days after I received it new (got repaired and works like a breeze now though), plus I owned an airbase before and didn't like it, but that was interface-stuff, not the way it sounded.

I guess it's all a matter of personal taste, as always... ;)

I have tried it in my studio lots of times. A friend who I make music with has one. We have used it on about 6 tracks, but I really struggle to get excited about its sound. I find everything apart from the kick is fine. I dunno what it is about the kick, but I dont find the jomox kick usable at all. Everytime he starts playing around with the kick I lose interest straight away and start day dreaming. I much prefer the sound of my 909/808/707 kick samples for the music I make. When I A/B is against my own music made with samples I much prefer that. I tried for so long to get into the mbase aswell, but its now collecting dust. If anyone cares to share some settings with me that represent something along the lines of the 909/808 kicks I would welcome that very much as I couldnt get close.

I dunno man, I dont think the jomox sounds anything like the roland machines. As soon as I got the 909 it was instant techno/house or whatever. that thing just bumps straight away. I really wish I could afford one, but its never going to happen. I would rather get a nice synth instead. But the sound is so nice, I sat there for 6 hours just recording 909 hooked up to juno 60. Although you cant do anything new with that setup, it was loads of fun and gave me the sound I was trying to get for years itb.

Do you know if its possible to sequence my prophet08 with the jomox 888/999? (i cant remember which one my friend has now)

I agree on the machinedrum. That thing is super sterile.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

well, glad to read your opinion is well based.
There's far too many people that base their opinion on gear on general first impressions in a crappy music store setup. :? :lol:

yes you can control synths with the jomox.
It has 4 MIDI tracks you can use to control external gear.
Check out page 78 (and following pages) in the manual of the 888 for more info (if you've played around with the 888 you can pretty well imagine how it works with the explanation given in the manual) :

http://www.jomox.de/upload/manuals/XBASE888_E.pdf

I've tried it a bit, but I didn't really like it.
To me it seemed a bit tedious
(or whatever the word is in English, you know something that takes up too much effort and time).
I prefer using the piano roll in Live (or even the step sequencer on my andromeda if I really must).

In general I don't like that way of programming your steps, by turning knobs to make bars higher or lower to alter your pitch etc..., but at least with the Andromeda, the screen is big enough to clearly see what you're doing.
The Jomox' screen is just not big enough to see well enough which pitch you're controlling etc...
Plus I've heard people complain that the knobs of the 888 and 999 are too jumpy, which should make this process even more irritating.
But I don't have that problem, because I got (I quote the website) "the producer version with stylish massive metal knobs with precious metal coating and longlife axle bearings for the potentiometer shafts. "
sounds a bit posh to me, but I can defenitely say the knobs are very high quality and worth the extra cash.
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

ok cool man i will try that. thanks. looking on thomann now its the 888 my friend has, so will try it next time he comes over.

i never really thought about sequencing externally, but after syncing the juno 60 to the 909 it made me think about other things i could set up in the same way. literally within seconds i had myself a song that was on par with everything else I had done in Ableton. that sort of workflow is very exciting to me at the moment. i have pretty much worked itb for the last 10 years and now getting to the point where i want to change the way I work as im simply bored. im certain if you put me in a room with a load of machines i would be able to get stuff done quickly.