sync-ing old roland gear

- ask away
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: sync-ing old roland gear

Post by MarcAshken »

ha, i love the idea but im far to edit happy to do that just yet. midi is being sent from a midisport 4x4. I dont think there's a problem with that as its behaving with all my other gear. I tried switching the midi channel and cable and no improvement/change. Time to get digging i think
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

MarcAshken wrote:ha, i love the idea but im far to edit happy to do that just yet. midi is being sent from a midisport 4x4. I dont think there's a problem with that as its behaving with all my other gear. I tried switching the midi channel and cable and no improvement/change. Time to get digging i think
yeah i used a midisport 4x4, no problems with that.

check the internal battery bro.
i dont think its the one in the back, i seem to remember theres also a small one inside the case, but i cant remember for sure, must have been 10 years ago....check it on the web.
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MarcAshken »

nice, will have a look, cheers mate
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MarcAshken »

sorted it, had to go into abletons preferences and disable all the active yellow slots on the midi channel im using, odd one
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

if i used a doepfer mcv4 and a roland tr-909 would i be able to sync the 909 to ableton and use the internal sequencer of the 909?
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

i have a doepfer mcv4 which i use to convert midi from ableton in cv/gate to the sh-101. how would you use it to sync the 909 with ableton?
i send midiclock to the 909 form ableton via an esi midi thing and the 9, so that start, stop and tempo are in sync but the 909 sequencer still works. that would be the 0 in the middle of the display when you set the sync.
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MarcAshken »

Have you tried using the 101's internal sequencer and triggering it from the 909's trig out? The sequences and variation u can get this way are amazing, def the most fun way I've found to use these units together
JackNine
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JackNine »

I'm really surprised no one has mentioned the super simple "half in, half out" sync cable trick from the 90s. Basically you put the sync cable in all the way, then pull it out a little bit. Now whenever you start the 909, it's the master and everything else is its slave. 100 percent perfect timing.

Before everything was being retrofitted with MIDI, this was the way to go on a budget for grooving live. I did several parties this way with a BOSS SE-9, 303, 606, 909 and a Juno 106. Hell, half the guys gigging the big Chicago warehouse parties set up their stuff this way. I know Hyperactive did.