bandcamp or what?

- ask away
basecold
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

bandcamp or what?

Post by basecold »

Hey,

As I'm finishing touches to my new digital ep "Complication" on Basecold, I'm currently exploring possibilities for sales.

I tried Beatport with no luck. I know, it's virtually impossible to access beatport nowdays, and other big platforms,
if you don't have a handful of releases ready, and a PR agency ready to promote the releases...

I checked Tunecore, but the price is steep and they don't sell to any electronic music platform.
Other aggregators, I'm not sure what to use. What do you use?

Just checked Bandcamp which seems a good solution, but again, it's not made for electronic music,
I'm not sure who would buy dancefloor tracks on this website.

Any other ideas?

In the meantime I am producing another 3 track EP for release probably november or so.
basecold
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: bandcamp or what?

Post by basecold »

It's a wise advice, the thing is I've always run labels in the past. My first digital one though.
And making ep's for other labels will definitely not bring any money. I know selling through my own channels won't bring much,
but at least it'll be something. Signing to another small label (let's be realistic), even if sales are like 500, might not bring enough money
to buy new equipment or else. But as you said, getting access to an established label's fan base is a good key point.
michaellpenman wrote:i would wait and send it to labels that have a similar sound to your music.
trying to do the diy approach right out the gate is hard. For anyone to buy it you have to have a solid fan base and a killer tune.

by releasing on a label you get there fan base right away
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: bandcamp or what?

Post by Stomper »

i think making enough money out of making music is impossible these days.
real money come from gigs. dj or live.
even big labels dont sell that much, maybe just enough to survive but not more than that.