- ask away
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Minimal production tips please

Post by Stomper »

i would start with programming drums.
two ways you could go with this.
start collection samples. use google and youll find tons of commercial and free packs. theres already a sampler bundled with ableton which i hear is good, so all you need is to start messing around with the samples.
other way, is kinda the same. but you learn how to synthesize your own drums which i think is better. specially for minimal music as you have more flexibility with the sounds than what you can do with samples.

you might wanna check this out
http://nickstutorials.com/free-tutorials-and-resources/
Nutrinoland
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Nutrinoland »

Thanks guys..This is already great info....
so do u synthesize your own drums because you tweak them to evolve over the track ? envelopes and stuff ?
I picked up a jomox mbase for kicks...will that help me in Minimal.
Thanks guys...
I just wanna know some stuff and wanna engage you in conversation so I could learn something.
I'm glad you are spending some time on replying to me.

Alright..Thanks a lot...

:)
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

for me, i synthesize my stuff for what you said. easier to tweak and get them to evolve AND easier to fine tune to sit perfect in a mix with the other sounds.
dont get me wrong though, some usage of samples can be great and get result you cant get with a synthesizer. watch some videos in the link i gave you.
you need to experiment. only way to learn what you like to use for what purpose.
RichardLodge
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by RichardLodge »

Since the forum was updated you can't search for old posts with the search function.

However if you search in google with

site:mnml.nl

then your topic, old posts will come up.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

its probably a good idea not to get too hung up on the minimal thing, because the production techniques in minimal are no different really to any other form of electronic music.

minimal is a generic term which is widely abused these days, much of the minimal music being produced these days isnt minimal at all, and many of the procucers on this forum dont strictly make minimal music anymore.

there are also so many different ways to make minimal music, and the techniques vary so widely that in some cases there is very little common ground, i make music on an analogue modular synthesizer with no computer and at the other end of the spectrum there are guys making music on solely with samples in a laptop, and there are guys here who cover all parts of the spectrum in between.

the common ground is a love for stripped down music, usually of the techno or house variety, and so i suppose the techniques of creating spacious music is what you should be concentrating on at first rather than worrying about what gear we all use, because the end result can be very similar no matter how you make the music.

i'm not sure that helps, but Stompers advise of looking at percussion first is a good starting point. listen to the spaces in between the rhythms and notice how important they are, and try removing rhythmic elements to see if the groove can still work without them.