Bass help

- ask away
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Bass help

Post by eggnchips »

Help please!
I have the bass quite in this track and the problem is that it sounds really course and rigid after rendering even though straight from my DAW it sounds smooth.
I've eased off the limiter and the compressor so that the peaks hardly touch them.
I've rendered at 44000 and 16.
I have tried numerous times to the point where I am cracking up to redo the bassline , moving the notes etc and I don't think it clashes with the kick.
I am therefore taking the plunge and asking you guys.
Am I going to low?

The bass kicks in at 4.40

http://soundcloud.com/eggnchips/v-2/s-HvGmI

Thanks
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Bass help

Post by steevio »

mate i cant hear any bass whatsoever on your track on my beatbox even with sub-bass boost on.

edit; i'm not being cheeky, i really cant hear the bass, what frequencies are you using ?
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

i dont have a clue about producing but it seems to me that the bassline is to low in volume, i have very bass heavy speakers and i just barely hear the sub bassline, its way to low in volume compared to the track.

but i like the track very much

EIDT: ok i realised my posting doesnt help you :D
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

eggnchips wrote:Help please!
I have the bass quite in this track and the problem is that it sounds really course and rigid after rendering even though straight from my DAW it sounds smooth.
what software are you using? ever try connecting the line out to line in on your interface (assuming you have one)? rendering is never going to replace an actual recording and there are many ways to screw up the rendering process such as going straight to 16bit without dithering or even with dithering if you dont know which option to utilize. i record rendered stems out through some preamps and compressors i like and back into the daw. i also turn off plugin delay compensation when doing this. i havent listen yet but aside from the frequencies the rigidity could be from the delay compensation. i use it while working as a rough guide but i always got better results with stems and editing the start point of the audio so it's all in perfect time. don't even get me started on fucking ableton live, granted i use it on an x64 PC, as soon as i have 5 channels with chains of effects all possibility to shape a groove is lost. im not saying that's everyones case but i pile high on the plugins and i use 2 other DAW's everyday along with live and i rarely have those issues
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

NoAffiliation wrote:
eggnchips wrote:Help please!
what software are you using? ever try connecting the line out to line in on your interface (assuming you have one)? rendering is never going to replace an actual recording and there are many ways to screw up the rendering process such as going straight to 16bit without dithering or even with dithering if you dont know which option to utilize. i record rendered stems out through some preamps and compressors i like and back into the daw. i also turn off plugin delay compensation when doing this. i havent listen yet but aside from the frequencies the rigidity could be from the delay compensation. i use it while working as a rough guide but i always got better results with stems and editing the start point of the audio so it's all in perfect time. don't even get me started on fcking ableton live, granted i use it on an x64 PC, as soon as i have 5 channels with chains of effects all possibility to shape a groove is lost. im not saying that's everyones case but i pile high on the plugins and i use 2 other DAW's everyday along with live and i rarely have those issues
So it could possibly be a Live issue? Wouldn't recording out of Live and back in just cause the same problem after the overall render? Thanks anyway, I'm going to take some low pass away and redo.
loopdon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by loopdon »

could you please add a downloadable link? a snippet will work. i'd like to have a look
at it if you don't mind.
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

@eggnchips

i was talking about rendering or recording individual channels of the mix, not the whole song. if you did that then your statement remains correct that recording out vs. internal would still have the latency issues in the timing.

This is not a specific issue with ableton but because it's designed for live use, you will be able to play back more tracks with less latency on another DAW such as FL Studio or Reaper which are my 2 other main apps in addition to live. You can see what i mean easily by freezing a few vst tracks in ableton and flattening them to audio. after freezing double click and zoom in as far as it lets you to the start of the audio file. most likely you will have a few ms gap to where the audio file starts and where the start of the first transient sample is located. so the advantage to having the individual stems is you can get sample accurate timing. turning off the delay compensation is my own subjective thing i do, i feel that plugins with onboard sequencers like microtonic sound more natural with is disabled.

some people feel that recording rather than rendering will give a better result. that's up to you to decide for yourself. its hard to know the exact issues because in your first post you used two different terms to describe the sound, rigid seems like a timing thing an grainy could mean bad dithering but they could also both be related to latency issues. what happens when your project is out of time is you get the effect of low pass filtering and weird artifacts from phase issues created by the timing errors.

i dont have time to go more in depth but go type in "PDC" on the ableton forum and you could waste days
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

NoAffiliation wrote:@eggnchips

i was talking about rendering or recording individual channels of the mix, not the whole song. if you did that then your statement remains correct that recording out vs. internal would still have the latency issues in the timing.

This is not a specific issue with ableton but because it's designed for live use, you will be able to play back more tracks with less latency on another DAW such as FL Studio or Reaper which are my 2 other main apps in addition to live. You can see what i mean easily by freezing a few vst tracks in ableton and flattening them to audio. after freezing double click and zoom in as far as it lets you to the start of the audio file. most likely you will have a few ms gap to where the audio file starts and where the start of the first transient sample is located. so the advantage to having the individual stems is you can get sample accurate timing. turning off the delay compensation is my own subjective thing i do, i feel that plugins with onboard sequencers like microtonic sound more natural with is disabled.

some people feel that recording rather than rendering will give a better result. that's up to you to decide for yourself. its hard to know the exact issues because in your first post you used two different terms to describe the sound, rigid seems like a timing thing an grainy could mean bad dithering but they could also both be related to latency issues. what happens when your project is out of time is you get the effect of low pass filtering and weird artifacts from phase issues created by the timing errors.

i dont have time to go more in depth but go type in "PDC" on the ableton forum and you could waste days
Ah, ok I see what you mean. I'll try bouncing it down first and let you know the outcome.

Thanks.