Music computer help.

- ask away
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Music computer help.

Post by eggnchips »

I want to build a nice desktop for running Ableton and multiple instances of Vst's and would like to know your thoughts and suggestions. I was initially going to go for Intel i7 2600 with 8gb Ram although some suggest this is completely unnecessary.
Maybe it will be helpful though with future Ableton releases?
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Music computer help.

Post by AK »

I'm running an Intel Quad Core Q8300, 4 Gig Ram with a 500 Gig HD on Win-7 and have never ever got near topping it out even with processor hogging devices. In fact I did a 'check' when I first got it and loaded NI's Massive and moused in a big minor 13th chord with a big thick pad and efx ( processor intensive patch ) and in Live, I copied the channel 31 times and it was still running fine - albeit using a lot of CPU obviously.

Anyway, got it from a computer fair ( Northern Computer Markets ) and had it built while I waited for £350. That was about 3 years ago now so God knows how much cheaper it would be now.

It's always tempting to get the best current spec computer thinking that it will future proof you to some degree and be able to run the next generation software and efx but give it 12 months and it will be 'out-dated' anyways. Mines easily enough for me as I mostly use hardware and apart from a few VSTi's ( Absynth, FM8, Reason 5 and a load of efx plugins ) it's really just a Midi sequencer and recording device but if I was totally ITB, it would easily do what I wanted.

How much would your original option set you back?
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

AK wrote:
It's always tempting to get the best current spec computer thinking that it will future proof you to some degree and be able to run the next generation software and efx but give it 12 months and it will be 'out-dated' anyways.

I was hoping to spend what is needed. Maybe up to 1000€.
My laptop is 4 years old and is still ok so I think investing in something that won't be out of date in 12 months is fine.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

eggnchips wrote:
AK wrote:
It's always tempting to get the best current spec computer thinking that it will future proof you to some degree and be able to run the next generation software and efx but give it 12 months and it will be 'out-dated' anyways.

I was hoping to spend what is needed. Maybe up to 1000€.
My laptop is 4 years old and is still ok so I think investing in something that won't be out of date in 12 months is fine.
The thing about future proofing is that the quality of the hardware is often getting worse.
I think any more than 1000 EUR is too much to spend on a computer to just make music on.
I guess it's about how you work.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

^^ agreed.

I spent about 500 quid and mine is still going strong after years of abuse.

Not sure what any of this means, but here is my system information. I have zero problems with my computer.

intel core 2 quad cpu
q8200 @2.33ghz
2.33ghz, 3.00gb of ram
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Im still using a C2D 2 point sumthing GHz . With 2gig of ram. The CPU rarely goes above 30% and it doesn't break a sweat when it does.

Its the quietest computer I have ever owned and if it breaks its gonna cost me £500 to get something better.
As long as it is at least as powerful as the last, it will do. If its better thats a bonus.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

any 2011 MBP model with i7 and you're set :)
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

i bought a new laptop a couple of months ago for 600 euro, intel i5 with 4gb ram, and to be honest i was mostly looking at the screen and harddrive size when i was browsing models. Compaired to my old beast of burden this is Star Trek meets Flintstones. Some of my recent tracks have 10-15 software synths in them, a few of them in unison mode, and lots of effects on everything (not saying my productions sounds good lol!) but its no sweat for this computer, so if you get an i7 your probably good for a long, long time. Unless you make truly monstrous tracks.

In fact, this spaceship has taken me what feels far out of "mnml orbit" thanks to all the possibilites it provides..