Processing this sample.

- ask away
Fermion
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Processing this sample.

Post by Fermion »

Hey could anybody give me any tips on how to process this sample. I haven't got much experience with this sort of thing, I usually try to find the best quality samples that I can but this is the only recording that I can find.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8H7Jibx-c0

I just want to clear it up a bit, it doesn't have to be perfect. Infact keeping some of the poor quality would be nice so I don't lose any character from the sample.

Thanks.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Processing this sample.

Post by tone-def »

it's from youtube, good luck getting it to sound good.

also how can you expect anyone else to tell you how to process something? surely you have some idea of how you want it to sound like? i have no idea what sound you are going for so i could suggest something totally wrong.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Nothing from youtube can be cleaned up. Hunt down the original.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Not a lot you can do with that to be honest. You could 'print' a bit of just the noise part and then use a de-noiser ( I use wavelabs internal one which I think is pretty good ) whilst this will reduce some background noise, it might affect the voice parts too. Best thing might turn out to be a process chain of this:

1/ De-noise ( processed based on just a noise print. ie: not when the voice is there )
2/ Gating it ( to cut out the noise when the voice is absent )
3/ A narrow Q width eq to try and bring a little clarity to just the voice
4/ A BP filter to tidy it all up

It's decidely LoFi, so with that in mind, instead of trying to make it pristine, work with the fact that it is LoFi. By doing this, you could be more liberal with eq and then run the whole thing through a bit of bitcrushing to 'mask' the artifacts. Then you still have a LoFi sample but more 'clean' and audible.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

http://www.mediafire.com/?157x67gzdp27s8f

I'm pretty bored tonight so there's a 15 min job of what I described above, dunno if it's any use to you but hey. The source sound is obviously of poor quality so if you reckon it's ok, here's what I did.

1/ Got a print from a section of noise in the sample

2/ Used a manual setting on wavelabs de-noiser to reduce that noise then processed the whole file which then also reduces the noise when the voice is present

3/ Used a noise gate at a setting so that only the voice remains in the file

4/ Used an EQ to lift the highs and also apply a HP filter

5/ Used a very short spring reverb to add a tail because the noise gate cuts sound off abruptly which is weird sounding

6/ Applied a slight bitcrushing effect using Sonalksis TBK2 to add a slight crunch to the file because the sound is already LoFi, trying to make it clinically clean sounds odd and eq brings up other unwanted artifacts - which it did, but adding a small crush effect hid those artifacts and kept it LoFi but still allowed the definition and eq to come through a bit.

The bitcrushing is very audible but was necessary in this case.
Fermion
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Fermion »

Thank alot man you've done a much better job than I could have :D

Picked up a good tip too which I never really thought of, it's better to try and make it sound like a good quality LoFi sample than a bad quality HiFi one.

Thanks again.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Yeah, only did it really quick mate but the point about trying to make a LoFi sample sound pristine is the main thing. When a sound is seriously LoFi, you are really always best to go with 'LoFi - flow' so to speak and not try to make it something it inherently isn't. :)