pitched down toms?

- ask away
smte
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

pitched down toms?

Post by smte »

i've been a lingerer on this forum for a while and there are a lot of great, inspired creatives here, so thanks for all the information you share.

i'm wondering how the pitched down tom sounds that play around the kick in these couple of tracks may work? they sound more aggressive that the kick itself. i've heard that blawan uses linn samples, i guess pitched down with perhaps with some overdrive around the fundamental?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQpAR7ZmT7A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgvCMwsghB4

edit: forgive me if my phrasing sounds so amateur, i'm pretty new to music production
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: pitched down toms?

Post by pafufta816 »

ohhh, the linn drum sounds are soooo money. they have oomph and bite. if the toms are too aggressive in the mix, try to put a high pass filter on them at around 500 or higher. it will take away the low freq's so that the tom doesn't crowd the bassdrum
RichardLodge
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by RichardLodge »

Don't think those toms are pitched down in any way, just low tom samples.

Try looking for a tribal sample pack, will no doubt be full of toms like that.
Fermion
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Fermion »

Yeah I'd agree just look for a Tribal sample pack you should find some similar samples. I know Sample Magic do a Tribal/Tech-House one, I've never heard it so I have no idea if it is any good though.
smte
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by smte »

thanks, found some similar sounds to work with. hate to be a first time poster asking for help sounding like someone else, will hang around more and hopefully contribute better things!