How do you get your groove

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: How do you get your groove

Post by AK »

smte wrote:something i've been thinking about recently whilst listening to 2562's fever is that he creates a lot of groove by splitting up a swung/shuffled rhythm between quite contrasting percussive sounds. his panning is also meticulous, in general he is just badman when it comes to drum programming. i know it's obvious but i don't think it's been mentioned yet; tuning your drums, and then taking that further and creating subtle melodies between percussive elements.
Tuning can be a good thing and a bad thing at athe same time. If you're dying to tune every single sound to a given key, it terms of percussion, it sounds wrong - at least to me ( too melodic ). If everything ( percussion ) is too harmonically correct, it's just odd. Throw in some clever inharmonics or tunings based on the harmonic series that don't conform to 12TET and it sounds more natural yet still works with the track because the funamental is there.

Obviously, certain sounds can be omitted but for stuff like synthetic congas and bongos etc, it just feels wrong if you synthesize them to be at exact frequencies relevent to the key you're in. Need inharmonics there but cleverly set up inharmonics.
luco
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by luco »

(-) Relentless sitting scything through perc samples finding the one that contrasts the others in such a pleasant pretense
tsankip
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by tsankip »

AK wrote: Silence? :lol:

"4'33"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUJagb7hL0E

-frown 2 ( "It was amazing" ) ( " The tension it created" )

Fvck off! :lol:
:D

I think there is this record from Stockhausen where one of the tracks is complete silence...or was it the whole record, can't remember anymore.