outboard fx units! which one(s) for under 1500usd?

- ask away
5meohd
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

outboard fx units! which one(s) for under 1500usd?

Post by 5meohd »

so I'm about to start building an outboard setup for studio/live idm jamming..

I've been jamming live with two dudes mixing in the box.. solo its fine.. three people? not so much...

mostly just the tweakability factor..

I'm looking at either getting a solid analog delay pedal and a solid reverb pedal.. or one outboard processor..

or ANY suggestions! as I've got a small eurorack setup and could even go with a couple modules if the in/out situation will be affordable.

I'm looking to do the standard reverb on a send and delay on another..

KEY factor is that turning knobs sounds good and produces chills :)

thanks!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: outboard fx units! which one(s) for under 1500usd?

Post by steevio »

5meohd wrote:so I'm about to start building an outboard setup for studio/live idm jamming..

I've been jamming live with two dudes mixing in the box.. solo its fine.. three people? not so much...

mostly just the tweakability factor..

I'm looking at either getting a solid analog delay pedal and a solid reverb pedal.. or one outboard processor..

or ANY suggestions! as I've got a small eurorack setup and could even go with a couple modules if the in/out situation will be affordable.

I'm looking to do the standard reverb on a send and delay on another..

KEY factor is that turning knobs sounds good and produces chills :)

thanks!
the problem with analog delays is you can't get long delays without serious deterioration of the signal.
i went for a digital delay for my eurorack set-up, the TC Electronic D-Two, its a very comprehensive quality piece of kit.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/D-Two.asp

i also use digital reverb, a lexicon MX500, (and a Lexicon MX100. OK but very much project studio quality)
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

really dont like most (any) line6 gear but I will say the DL4 delay module is awesome in live situations. You could get a few external pedals/modules. I would say some of the boutique pedals rival (if not surpass in quality) a lot of the "project studio" rackmount style gear.

I would focus on getting a nice rack of efx or a huge pedalboard. With 1500 bucks you could really start setting up a nice chain, with tons of knobs to tweek until your content :).

I like the TC D-Two, its super nice, not enough hands on control for myself in a live situation, same goes for most digital reverbs.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

strymon el capistan or time line would be something to consider.
techno made me do it
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

+1 elcapistan!! <3 <3 my timeline comes tomorrow! :D

another alternative would be the eventide timefactor(more expensive)... and i think they make a reverb pedal too. The richard devine demos were bad ass.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
5meohd
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by 5meohd »

yes.. the eventide space and the stryman timeline were the two I was thinking of getting..

I actually use the timefactor at work -twisted to test the inserts on the mixers and I actually don't care for it too much..
Casanova808
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Casanova808 »

The Timeline looks dope. You could have a lot of fun with that and a decent reverb.
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kdgh »