pIANO

- ask away
sTEVYsTEVE
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

pIANO

Post by sTEVYsTEVE »

You know, tryin to emulate a piano sound is really hard in electronic music but i had a look at the NI plug-ins and in the demos they sound quite good.
So have you ever tried them? Do you know some VSTs that had some really good preset of a piano?
When i say piano i mean a classic piano but an electric one too and so on..
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: pIANO

Post by Stomper »

for electric piano i have GrandElectrix by AraldFX. i never was that much into these kind of sounds but i got it for free.
so im not an expert in how it sounds compared to a real one, but i think it sound very nice (i only use it to find chord progressions that i like).
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I'm not a fan of Piano so can't help there but I adore EP's and Organs and Rhodes, now normally, you'd think they were'nt viable in a forum such as this but with say an EP/Rhodes type sound, through a Leslie cabinet style effect and delay and reverb, you can get some amazing sounds when playing subtle chords. But yeah, Pianos no, but electric style stuff, I'd have to say Lounge Lizard, one of the best VSTi's I have, but can't help you on the Piano, ( far too plinky and obvious for my style )
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

I got both NI's Piano and EP's library.
I think both are some of the best I ever heard.
Honestly, I'm a classically trained pianist, so I've played many piano's over the years.
I'm sure many (if not all) will never hear the difference with the real thing.
They've been beautifully sampled and (cross-)layered.

The only reason I wouldn't use NI's piano's over say the piano presets in my rompler (XV-88), is because if you play something fast, your computer will start doing hick-ups because the RAM can't handle it. Something a rompler will never have, of course.
But with fast I mean Chopin nocturne style where you play 35 notes with your right hand while you play four 16th notes with your left, so obviously this won't be a problem if you just use it on electronical music.

The EP one has this preset called "Late night Vangelis", absoultely beautiful, I can play it for ever...
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

It's worth noting that there's some freeware stuff out there too - which, in terms of the Piano, I'm not sure how good it is, but if you are not writing a ballad, it could well be sufficient.

http://www.vstplanet.com/Instruments/VST_Piano.htm

On that page, if you scroll down, is an excellent freeware EP called 'Mr Ray', well worth a look and while aficionados would probably look elsewhere, it's pretty damn good IMO. Just slap some delay and reverb on it a chorus/Leslie/wah-wah/cabinet simulator etc etc etc etc................ 8)

But yeah, worth a peek at that page.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Is "EP" short for something? Or is that the name of the company.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

EP = electric piano's like Rhodes, Wurlitzer,...
ekwipt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ekwipt »

From what I've read the Alicia Keys Kompakt pack is one of the best out there. I'm happy enough with EXS24