Thought of the day: Keeping things interesting.

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Thought of the day: Keeping things interesting.

Post by steevio »

Stomper wrote: subliminal modulation is a must do to an already good drums arrangement.
there is no argument here, ive never made a single tune that didnt have subtle modulation on every single parameter of every sound
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

tone-def wrote:
Stomper wrote: also, i think you misunderstood me. when i say typical i mean the core of all dance genres. its the same in trance, house, techno, hardcore ect. kick on beat, snare on every second kick and hi hat between each kick.
when you say unique, what im getting is to change that core, which i disagree with.
techno in the UK is moving away from that core. guys that came though the dubstep scene like Peverelist and Al Tourettes are destroying dancefloors with their broken beat techno.
very true,
but broken beat techno has been around since day one, alot of UK techno in the early 1990s wasnt 4/4 based.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Good music is good music whatever time sig it's in and the same goes for dull music. All music is inherently subjective so we could have a debate all year long as to what is exciting in a musical sense but I think regardless of specifics, we can all appreciate something which has a bit of originality and charisma.

I can't listen to a lot of Techno stuff because a lot of it sounds like any other Techno record out there, but I don't hold 4/4 as the culprit, I just assume there's like tons of guys trying to sound like every other guy and you just end up with a whole genre of music which could have been written by anyone of them. -squint
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Stomper wrote: i once talked against commercial music to one of my teachers, she told me that if there were no commercial songs, underground music would not be exist.
i think most people would agree with me if i said that its totally the other way round.
most commercial music is plagarised from the underground.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:
I can't listen to a lot of Techno stuff because a lot of it sounds like any other Techno record out there, but I don't hold 4/4 as the culprit, I just assume there's like tons of guys trying to sound like every other guy and you just end up with a whole genre of music which could have been written by anyone of them. -squint
i totally agree,
but again i have to reiterate as the message isnt getting through,
i never said 4/4 was a culprit, how can a time signature be responsible for cloned music ?, i was talking about 4 beat loops and the fact that there is little room for innovation if you use that as a template for your music...just because something is written in a 4/4 time signature doesnt mean it has to loop every 4 beats, please read what i actually said.............i guess i may as well just shut up now.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

steevio wrote:
Stomper wrote: i once talked against commercial music to one of my teachers, she told me that if there were no commercial songs, underground music would not be exist.
i think most people would agree with me if i said that its totally the other way round.
yes. but still, one has to exist in order for the other to exist.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Stomper wrote:
steevio wrote:
i would say that ALL music was underground until the advent of the commercial record companies of the mid-20th Century.
if all those theiving bastards dissappeared tomorrow, we'd be right back where we started.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

steevio wrote:
Stomper wrote:
steevio wrote:
i would say that ALL music was underground until the advent of the commercial record companies of the mid-20th Century.
if all those theiving bastards dissappeared tomorrow, we'd be right back where we started.

actually I would disagree with you. Long before the mid-20th century you saw Griots as the integral part of tribal society (recanting the history of each family in the tribe), very much the opposite of underground.

There was also nothing underground about classical music throughout the ages. If the record companies didn't or hadn't exist we would just return to a free market in which music is priceless and seen as a necessary part of life not a commodity.