small analog bassline synths...

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: small analog bassline synths...

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:It was a 24 bit wav that file I uploaded.

Anyone on here took the plunge yet and bought a synth that anyone has mentioned? There are just far too many options to choose from.

I wish I knew someone that had a sh101 so I could have a play on one.
i've never been happier with my bass set up than i am now, its really simple, and it sounds fucking awesome.

an Analogue systems RS60 envelope generator,
http://www.analoguesystems.co.uk/index2.htm

an MFB VCO-02 (which also has two other oscillators for other purposes)
http://www.mfberlin.de/Produkte/Module/ ... c-02e.html

and a Tiptop Audio Z2040 VCF/VCA...
http://postmodular.co.uk/tiptop/z2040-4-pole-vcf

job done.... sounds as good as an SH101, which is my normal bass machine.
total cost just over £400, but of course if youre non-modular you need PSU / case / midi CV convertor. so you might as well buy an SH101 + midi CV convertor

edit; forgot, you will need an A183-2 offset generator to control the pulsewidth on the VCO, another £32, in which case you may as well buy a Tiptop Z3000 MK11 instead of the MFB for little more, for a much better VCO with FM and waveshaping and no need for the offset gen. which is what i would be doing if i wasnt using my Z3000 for something else.
http://postmodular.co.uk/tiptop/z3000-smart-vco

good reason to get on the modular bus.

ps.. the prophet 08 envelopes are digital. thats why they are so snappy. they will never sound as smooth as a real analogue ADSR, the RS60 above is total quality. when you buy a digital/analogue hybrid synth built from cheap components, you get what you pay for, alot of functionality for little cost, when you buy handmade modules with lots of discrete components you get the best sh!t money can buy, but you have to know what youre doing so you dont buy stuff you dont need.
Last edited by steevio on Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

steevio wrote:
::BLM:: wrote: If I move the attack it disappears, but then my basslines will have a slow attack and I don’t like that.
there you have your answer bro.

most synths with a fast attack will produce a click at the start of the envelope, thats normal, i didnt mention it cos i thought it was too obvious. the reason its noticeable with a triangle is because the triangle has very few harmonics whereas with other waveforms the richer harmonics kind of cover up the click somewhat, in other words you dont notice it.

you have to back off the attack on alot of synths for bass, it doesnt need to be much usually and it would be too little to affect the groove. with older analogue synths sometimes the attack is less snappy anyway and you dont get the click.

i couldnt listen to your sample on my desktop as it doesnt have the codec for the file, i'll check it in my studio later, but i'm 99% sure thats what it is.

you could try using a square wave instead of the triangle, once filtered down its almost the same thing, but it might give you more of a small thump instead of a click, however backing off the attack very slightly is the way to get a smooth bass. if its affecting your groove then move the bass notes in your sequencer to compensate.
jup sounds like my mopho when i dont adjust the attack.
techno made me do it
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

ok cool - thanks for the info.

I'm going to go the modular route, just because you can add to it pretty cheaply over a period of time and its fresh as well.
loopdon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by loopdon »

Thanks for all the input in this forum, Steevio.

And of course all the other participants willing to share the knowledge...
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

i just heard a wicked hybrid yesterday that my buddy built. it came in a kit that some guy in france sells direct, under $200 american. cant remember the name but it was bomb and very compact (smaller than a mopho)

we described the sound as "weird, sci-funky, and warm"