16 channel mixer for live

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: 16 channel mixer for live

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:Why dont you just buy one and if you dont like it send it back? You get 30 days if you buy from Thomann. I suppose you could try as many as you like.
s'pose i could do that.

its nice to have peoples thoughts who already have the models i'm interested in thats all, but doesnt look like any of you guys have one.

like tony says, its mostly auxilliaries i'm after, as i use them to send triggers back to the modular as well as reverb / delay sends. i have 8 sends on my studio desk, and use all of them and could do with more really. i rarely use the EQ, but when i do it has to be two bands of sweepable mids for me, and also stereo channels arent much use to me.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:
I'm just about to set up my live set, so I need a mixer too. A couple of my friends said they didnt like the onyx so I guess you just have to play with a few and see what is best suited to your needs.
could you ask your friends why they didnt like the onyx mate ?
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

lem wrote:Image

Too much?
I'm planning to get the 24ch version next year.
5meohd
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by 5meohd »

I'm the mixer tech for musicians friend (one of the biggest music gear outlets in the states) now.. I can tell you that I rarely rarely see allen & heath's come back.. and when they do there is nothing wrong.

I must admit I haven't been there too long.. but the lower end mackie, soundcraft, and OBVIOUSLY behringer are the majority of boards I've seen. more often than not there usually isn't any problems.

I went through every in and out of a mix wizard 16 and it was by far the most pleasant, tactile, smooth, and responsive unit I've worked with. the faders are much nicer "feeling" than the zed series.

That said.. I'm saving up for the zed 16 so that I can have firewire in and out as I use a mix of maschine, ableton, eurorack, and eventually a couple super nice analog delays and reverbs!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

5meohd wrote:I'm the mixer tech for musicians friend (one of the biggest music gear outlets in the states) now.. I can tell you that I rarely rarely see allen & heath's come back.. and when they do there is nothing wrong.

I must admit I haven't been there too long.. but the lower end mackie, soundcraft, and OBVIOUSLY behringer are the majority of boards I've seen. more often than not there usually isn't any problems.

I went through every in and out of a mix wizard 16 and it was by far the most pleasant, tactile, smooth, and responsive unit I've worked with. the faders are much nicer "feeling" than the zed series.

That said.. I'm saving up for the zed 16 so that I can have firewire in and out as I use a mix of maschine, ableton, eurorack, and eventually a couple super nice analog delays and reverbs!
i cant comment on their mixing desks, but my involvement in a music festival for the last 5 years has pointed to an unreliabilty in A&H DJ mixers specifically the Xone 62 (and the odd 92)

the commonest problem being one side of the main output going down. this has happened to at least 4 or 5 mixers in the space of 5 years, but ive heard that they may have sorted their quality control recently and the new ones are more reliable

in the UK, production guys call them 'Allen & Grief'.