- ask away
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: steevio on his modular

Post by hydrogen »

steevio wrote:
AK wrote:
steevio wrote: most of my other stuff is freeform jazz techno, and quite complex, maybe not suitable for this forum.
:lol: Don't be so presumptuos man. I dunno what 'freeform jazz techno' is, but I don't want to be denied it mate. 8)
haha neither do i bro :) but it certainly isnt minimal. i'll have a dig.
I'm sure there are very few of us here still making pure minimal. ;) it's just that sound that brought us all on here in the first place.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

Steevio...baller.

Miss that sound. More about your free form jazz techno please.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

hydrogen wrote:
I'm sure there are very few of us here still making pure minimal. ;) it's just that sound that brought us all on here in the first place.

Very very few :D
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

steevio wrote: theres no-one paying attention because no one is really doing it. most modular guys wont dare to take their gear out of the studio. i have to admit my days of playing in sweaty cellars are over for good, the venue needs to have a decent size DJ booth, theres no way i'd set-up outside the booth. i used to do that in my acid techno days, jeez, i cant believe i did that now.

so thats going to limit where i play, i also need to get paid, because it wipes out a good few days of my life taking down the studio, driving it somewhere, then returning and rebuilding the studio.
the plan is to do mini tours in europe taking three or four weeks to drive around having a holiday at the same time. sounds idyllic to me, but the reality will be something else no doubt.

these limitations dont bother me really, its like the limitations of releasing only on vinyl, the argument would be; but many fewer people are going to hear your sh!t, but unless you only have commercial interests at heart it really doesnt matter, as long as 'some' people hear your sh!t.
there are quite a few modular guys who are willing to take their gear out and about. obviously i can empathise with needing to have a proper set up at a venue. i can't think of a single venue in oxford witha dj booth big enough for your kit though.

it doesn't really sound like you're particularly keen on playing.

as long as the right people hear your stuff.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:
steevio wrote: there are quite a few modular guys who are willing to take their gear out and about. obviously i can empathise with needing to have a proper set up at a venue. i can't think of a single venue in oxford witha dj booth big enough for your kit though.

it doesn't really sound like you're particularly keen on playing.

as long as the right people hear your stuff.
i meant taking gear to clubs, and playing dance music, i know theres a few modular guys playing more experimental stuff in more conducive environments, kind of installation stylee.

dont read anything into what i'm saying and assume i dont want to play mate, of course i want to play, but the safety of my gear is paramount, just as it would be for you. not many venues can offer a safe area with a physical barrier between the dancefloor and the artist. it only takes one nobhead and a pint of lager to bring you down and screw up your entire life.
its happened to me before with less expensive kit, you wouldnt believe what a half glass of wine can do to a Nord lead.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

hydrogen wrote:
this is an interesting one, because i still consider what i do to be mostly minimal techno. its all based on a simple mathematical starting point, theres no vocals, no effects, no pads, no obvious contemporary stylistic artifacts, its just simple machine music.
that for me is what minimal techno is and always was.
for a few years from 2003 i used mostly 2-step rhythms but it was still minimal techno in my eyes.

i'm really interested in how you guys who have moved on would define minimal, and also wtf are we still doing here guys ? :)

btw i'm kind of embarassed that this is all still in 'steevio on his modular', can we start a new thread about some of these topics ?
Last edited by steevio on Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

steevio wrote:
i meant taking gear to clubs, and playing dance music, i know theres a few modular guys playing more experimental stuff in more conducive environments, kind of installation stylee.

dont read anything into what i'm saying and assume i dont want to play mate, of course i want to play, but the safety of my gear is paramount, just as it would be for you. not many venues can offer a safe area with a physical barrier between the dancefloor and the artist. it only takes one nobhead and a pint of lager to bring you down and screw up your entire life.
its happened to me before with less expensive kit, you wouldnt believe what a half glass of wine can do to a Nord lead.
yeah need to think how to offer safety for the gear... i haven't seen it happen to me personally but i'm worrying about it more and more as the price of my set up increases. Some places I feel like the audience is sympathetic and I don't need to worry. It's true that you're just 1 pint of lager etc away from loosing so much (even death in some cases). especially with modular when you're sometimes dealing with stuff which won't get made again. Insurance technically covers this kind of damage but I really don't feel I can use that as a really strong safety mechanism.

I saw a guy a few weeks ago with an 808/303 and small doepfer rack just leave it set up unattended. I probably wouldn't like to do that (-)

With reluctance to play i was also commenting on it more generally, the tour europe for 4 weeks seems optimistic (although i've never booked a tour, maybe it's a practical plan) . I think i'm much more itchy to play and would take most opportunites to play for people with safe hands.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:
I saw a guy a few weeks ago with an 808/303 and small doepfer rack just leave it set up unattended. I probably wouldn't like to do that (-)

With reluctance to play i was also commenting on it more generally, the tour europe for 4 weeks seems optimistic (although i've never booked a tour, maybe it's a practical plan) . I think i'm much more itchy to play and would take most opportunites to play for people with safe hands.
that guy must have been crazy, how easy is it to stick a 303 in your pocket and walk out of a club. when i was playing in a band i once had a wahwah pedal stolen from the floor infront of me as i turned round to turn up my amp.

the four week tour isnt optomistic for me, ive already got the promises of gigs, several in Germany, and some in Ukraine, Estonia etc, it would have to be a leisurely tour, more like a holiday with a few gigs on the way, campervan stylee.