steevio on his modular

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: steevio on his modular

Post by steevio »

jackbrazzo wrote:I am very impressed, sounds excellent.

Perhaps the only downer is the portability of the thing - Have you thought about going some gigs in London - You are bound to get some trust me!
thanks man,

i think we may be doing a Freerotation night in London sometime in the autumn.

portabilty isnt so much the downer as the setting up /taking down scenario.
its just 3 flightcases, which is nothing compared to what i used to lug around with me in my band.

today i'm expecting two mulitcores and a small stage box which will fit in one of the cases, so the set-up time will be reduced from 80 to about 20 minutes, i'm committed to doing this now, so i've got to get it more streamlined (and insured)
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:the set up will fit into most venues with a little work I think. I think the problem is that very few people are actually paying attention.

I'm starting a night in Oxford soon, I'll book you.
theres no-one paying attention because no one is really doing it. most modular guys wont dare to take their gear out of the studio. i have to admit my days of playing in sweaty cellars are over for good, the venue needs to have a decent size DJ booth, theres no way i'd set-up outside the booth. i used to do that in my acid techno days, jeez, i cant believe i did that now.

so thats going to limit where i play, i also need to get paid, because it wipes out a good few days of my life taking down the studio, driving it somewhere, then returning and rebuilding the studio.
the plan is to do mini tours in europe taking three or four weeks to drive around having a holiday at the same time. sounds idyllic to me, but the reality will be something else no doubt.

these limitations dont bother me really, its like the limitations of releasing only on vinyl, the argument would be; but many fewer people are going to hear your sh!t, but unless you only have commercial interests at heart it really doesnt matter, as long as 'some' people hear your sh!t.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

best insurance company i found was newmooninsurance ... worth double checking though... I also find it hard to trust insurance companies, but better to do it than not.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

oblioblioblio wrote:BLM.... i've been living on the fringes close ish to Abingdon with my mother for a while now. about to move into east oxford near to the BMW plant (not confirmed though)

It's a tough city for music... really high student population who come and go every 3 years (and so many of them are utter pricks), and its so close to bristol and london that many people just go elsewhere for nights (I do). But, Oxford has all the right demographics of people living in the city... just needs someone to put the effort into it (and loose some money).

I was close to moving out of the city but I realised I could make Oxford a nice place to live by doing something. It has all the right ingredients as a city already, but no good music scene reinforces the inbuilt Oxford cliquey circle vibes.

I've tried really hard to go out, but so much of it is really cliquey, stale or sh!t. Lots of people tell me the cellar has nice vibes but the music is always shite. The Coven is a cool venue but again, sh!t music, friends of friends, stale ideas.

Lots of oldschool local guys like Truck (who opened a music stohare), FOTB are friendly, but their various parties have seen their heyday and they've lost their freshness.

I'm not sure how to do it right and who to appeal to. I guess I just have to do my own thing. Might try to get East Oxford Community Centre... like that place and good location.

calling it Trust Sound

Well i think if you find the right space then you might be onto a winner. I played a few decent night in Oxford (Slide being one of them) but that was a long time ago. There were some nights at the Celler which were good and I used to play a few of the bars (love bar and thirst I think) There is a night called Wallah or something like that that is still running I think.

I'm from Eynsham by the way.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

@BLM. slide was horrible the last few times I went. Ibiza cocaine vibes...

there were some guys called Eclectric and Eclectricity, but the main promotor was slimey as fck, and they made some good bookings but i found the nights a bit hostile socially, escecially after one of the guys left.

gimme a shout if you come back down... can show you my modular and go for a pint or something.

will try and book you and Jay if this night gets off the ground.

Don't know Eynsham, liked the look of that area though. There are quite a few peeps lurking in the surrounding villages and towns that could also use a good music night i reckon.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Most people I think are into weird music. Like hardcore stuff! 200 bpm etc... My brother puts on free parties around Oxford that get packed and they have a nice loyal following. I was going to play some techno at one of them, but it never happened as my bro said nobody would like my music.

Not been to Slide in years, I was 17 when I played there. But they used to book the likes of Bushwacka.

Do you know J?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

nah just know of him, think i know his face from freerotation? A guy called Ed Steele knows him from Oxford i think.

never got into the oxford freeparty scene, they always seem messy and not many of the fuckers clean up after themselves i don't believe. Not actually been to anything so can't talk with proper authority on the subject.

good music is good music imo. some people are sheep. (everyone has their own taste though)
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

Really enjoying that. As others have said it's great to see someone making great techno using a modular setup instead of weird noises ;) it definitely helped to drown out the shite, low-bitrate electro house being pumped out by the pub downstairs from me just now :(