Aynbody have a Machinedrum?

- ask away
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Aynbody have a Machinedrum?

Post by hydrogen »

Right on sorgenkind. Since I don't use a mixer, I use a patchbay and when in the idea stage for a track I have all the outs go to the master. When I'm ready for recording, I repatch and have a global setting (a couple menus away) which remaps all the outputs where I want them. The machinedrum is brilliant like this, it's intuitiveness grows on you as you become more familiar with the instrument there is an understanding to why it is designed this way.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

yes, another big plus of the MD are the global settings, very fast way to change the settings, eg. between live and studio or simply like you do to have all the routing changed in few seconds.
definitively a well thought machine!
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

I have one and love it. I use it on every track I do.

I have never noticed that it sounds thin or sterile. Digital? Yes, but that doesn't always add up to clinical or sterile IMO.

The key to getting big kicks on the MD is knowing how to mix... the sounds are capable of more interrelationship than the sounds on a 909. A 909 sounds exactly balanced for a nice techno/house tune right out of the box... the MD requires fiddling with levels and decays a lot more to dial it.

As Sorgenkind said its about learning the machine. I can program a sick kit from memory very quickly on my MD these days. At the moment its my favorite drum machine. I have an xBase09 Tok Tok edition which I love as well, but it mostly sits there as my MD is like a super arsenal of percussion all in one box.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

coldfuture wrote:I have one and love it. I use it on every track I do.

I have never noticed that it sounds thin or sterile. Digital? Yes, but that doesn't always add up to clinical or sterile IMO.

The key to getting big kicks on the MD is knowing how to mix... the sounds are capable of more interrelationship than the sounds on a 909. A 909 sounds exactly balanced for a nice techno/house tune right out of the box... the MD requires fiddling with levels and decays a lot more to dial it.

As Sorgenkind said its about learning the machine. I can program a sick kit from memory very quickly on my MD these days. At the moment its my favorite drum machine. I have an xBase09 Tok Tok edition which I love as well, but it mostly sits there as my MD is like a super arsenal of percussion all in one box.
I'm not a fan of 'huge kicks' and so on, sure, I like tunes that wanna make you get up etc but I am at the age where I want to make music that grooves but isn't in the local trend of......'fashionable music'.

A kickdrum is just a kickdrum, personally, I'd rather have people comment on my music, not my kick. :!:
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Man, what was I talking about there anyways? :lol:

Mine arrived this morning, been hooking it up with other stuff, damn, now I need more outs on a mixer........ :x

Not got round to the parameter locks yet as I've been doodling with patterns and creating sounds but will delve into that tomorrow. What's the A & B inputs for? The manual ( at least from a glance ) doesn't seem to suggest anything.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

AK wrote:Man, what was I talking about there anyways? :lol:

Mine arrived this morning, been hooking it up with other stuff, damn, now I need more outs on a mixer........ :x

Not got round to the parameter locks yet as I've been doodling with patterns and creating sounds but will delve into that tomorrow. What's the A & B inputs for? The manual ( at least from a glance ) doesn't seem to suggest anything.
You can sample though those inputs or you can use them as inputs to your effects. Don't forget you can make a machine to control your global effects... You can make some wicked delay patterns with that an the parameter locks.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Sweet, I'll check it out tomorrow, got a week off work so I'm kinda stoned now and decided to turn it off :lol: (*) It's not the UW version, that's why I wondered about the inputs. Anyways, all will be revealed I guess.

Happy with it though, it's defo the best kit for me, I'm not into clinical clean but also don't really like too much dirt and grime if you know what I mean. Kinda why I shy'd away from the Jomox stuff I guess.