Filter Modules

- ask away
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Filter Modules

Post by Phase Ghost »

muff's search really sucks. Probably easier use google to search that site.
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

thanks buddies, steevio that was really clarifying about VCA's. coming from max/msp i have always thought that there should be an amplifire module at the end of any signal chain, so thats where my confusion was coming from. seeing VCA's as attenuators totally makes sense.

i want to say that i'm not lazy and just asking, i read a lot about it too and check module specs, it's just that here are some people i trust, so i figure i might also ask.

that is great news though, it means that i can buy one module and already be able to utilize it! sounds like a very powerful thing to realise to me! i think my first one will be one of those more complex cwejman thingies with the modulations built in! where has my mind been up to now... i am really dumb :)
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

I think you should definitely get at least one Low Pass Gate style filter. THis is a module design directly derived from a Buchla circuit, which is somewhere between a filter and a VCA... it has a very soft rolloff, like 6db per octave, and unlike a normal filter can close all the way. In Buchla modular systems he uses no VCAs and only LPGs. They have a totally unique organic sound, very much like a reverb (in fact an LPG simulates the exact tonal chraracteristics of a sound source receding into the distance). I really LOVE the Wiard Borg for this, as the resonance is very unique and controllable.

I would recommend the Wiard Boogie filter as well. You can mix the poles and obtain any variety of filter, lowpass, highpass, bandpass, allpass, notch. Very interesting.

I love the Frequensteiner as a character filter, the way it resonates is completely unique. It's a bitchy filter though and in some setups can make a lot of unwanted noise, like crosstalk and hum, but in my experience you can minimise this noise by where you place the module on your busboards, and by using a good quality power supply. And for me, this noise is completely unnoticeable.

There is a Schippmann eurorack filter directly derived from the Ebbe and Flut which is soon to be released, which might be worth considering. Cwejman modules are not my cup of tea I don't think, but they are certainly interesting. The Res-4 is VERY popular.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

that Schippmann guy knows a thing or two about filters.
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

yeah i always wondered if the ebbe und flut has been a serious part of the willawobo sound, at least during certain periods of his work. way too expensive though. hope the eurorack version will be cheaper.

ok thanks a bunch again and i will sum up what i gather info-wise so far and post it up here, to eventually see if i'm not getting sth wrong.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

s.k. wrote:yeah i always wondered if the ebbe und flut has been a serious part of the willawobo sound, at least during certain periods of his work. way too expensive though. hope the eurorack version will be cheaper.

ok thanks a bunch again and i will sum up what i gather info-wise so far and post it up here, to eventually see if i'm not getting sth wrong.
i talked to schippmann why he discontinued the ebbe and flut and according to him it should be more expensive from the quality of parts and design. but obviously already to expensive for a lot people. but i think it´s worth the money. i worked with it for some time and you can put sh!t in and get gold out.
techno made me do it
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

the euro module is based around a chip that he designed.. ebbe and flut in a chip, bascially.

Mosst of the details for the new module and the chip are floating around somewhere.

I've heard from several BIG filter junkies that the E/F is very out of the ordinary.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

oblioblioblio wrote:the euro module is based around a chip that he designed.. ebbe and flut in a chip, bascially.

Mosst of the details for the new module and the chip are floating around somewhere.

I've heard from several BIG filter junkies that the E/F is very out of the ordinary.
it´s the next step of the filterdesign he implemented in the EuF. it´s pretty good configurable so the same chip gonna end up in that upcoming
mfb synth they presented some month ago.
the EuF is a different beast. 2 filters (both slightly different), dbx compressor chip, distortion unit, lfos....and all with cv....ahhh me want (-)

techno made me do it