how we conect a pedal distortion ? - Marco Carola ???

- ask away
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: how we conect a pedal distortion ? - Marco Carola ???

Post by s.k. »

cloutier wrote:seeing as most everyone runs every channel and the master in the red the entire time they play, who gives a fck? not to mention all the tracks are clipped and mastered way too hot anyways.

pile sh!t upon sh!t and you still end up with sh!t.

as soon as people grow up and start running the audio properly, who cares if they use a digitech death metal pedal or not?
this is not exactly true. most quality mixers are made so that you can redline them and its still ok (under 0dBFS). they go into the red at about -12 to -6dB, and apply a soft compression (overdrive) upwards. i have tested Allen&Heath and Pioneer by looking at the waveform in Soundforge, and the result is far from "digitally clipped". you know how a clipped wave looks like right? do the test yourself and see.

so next time you see a really big producer redlining the dj mixer, dont be quick to call him a fool - he knows what he's doing.

most of the confusion comes from the difference between analogu e and digital scales...
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

why should they know what they are doing if they redline? they would get the same result with not redlining, but they would have much more room for gain adjustments...

even if there would be no clipping at the end, why should someone play at the maximum?
Cheaper
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Cheaper »

When an A&H mixer like Xone92 or Xone42 turns red it's already @ +10Db above 0. It turns blue when in between 0 and +9, which is ok sound-wise most of the time.

@Cloutier : if everyone keeps piling sh!t up i don't know how this is gonna end :( Awful ultra compressed masters converted into 128k mp3 then played out @ +12Db on sh!t speakers
soundcloud.com/capsularecordings
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

s.k. wrote:this is not exactly true. most quality mixers are made so that you can redline them and its still ok (under 0dBFS). they go into the red at about -12 to -6dB, and apply a soft compression (overdrive) upwards. i have tested Allen&Heath and Pioneer by looking at the waveform in Soundforge, and the result is far from "digitally clipped". you know how a clipped wave looks like right? do the test yourself and see.

so next time you see a really big producer redlining the dj mixer, dont be quick to call him a fool - he knows what he's doing.

most of the confusion comes from the difference between analogu e and digital scales...
Red kicking in at the equivalent of around -12dBFS sounds reasonable to me. Doesn't mean the DJs should be running their levels any higher than that though, does it? I don't think redlining a mixer (i.e. going anywhere near 0dBFS) is the mark of someone who "knows what he's doing". It's a bit of an irrelevant comparison in the analogue domain anyway but there's nothing clever about running so near the maximum.
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

Cheaper wrote:When an A&H mixer like Xone92 or Xone42 turns red it's already @ +10Db above 0.
yes, +10dB analog scale which equals about -8dB digital scale - way below zero.
Themis wrote:why should they know what they are doing if they redline? they would get the same result with not redlining, but they would have much more room for gain adjustments...

even if there would be no clipping at the end, why should someone play at the maximum?
the result is not the same, because when you have hotter levels the master channel gels them together better via slight limiting, creating a more solid level, a harder ceiling for the peak level so your mix stays consistent when you ride tracks in and out. when you have it all in the green, you risk the mix becoming quieter at times when you ride a track out. sometimes can be good, sometimes no.

but of course i agree with everyone on the poor mastering and production level standard... in order to go in the red with the mixer you gotta mix dynamic tracks. if its square-waved to begin with, will sound sh!t in the green too. imo
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

All this aside, the dd-6 sounds perfectly fine in this arrangement. You have complete control over the levels to the unit via aux send. Ive used this setup on Rane, Ecler and a&h. All sound great.

Sorry if the impedance and levels dont match. :D
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest