anyone use an analogue step sequencer?

- ask away
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: anyone use an analogue step sequencer?

Post by MarcAshken »

just picked up an oberkorn mk3 on ebay for 300 pound, good start to the day
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

-boom congrats!!!!
this looks like really a lot of fun.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
gosh
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gosh »

Doepfer MAQ 16/3 can store 30 sequences but remember that because the knobs are analogue and have no 'pass through' function when you enter a saved sequence that has values different to those displayed by the knob when you turn the knob it will jump straight to that value. So editing stored sequences is harder than simply recalling to play. This is what drove me mad about it and what drove me to the cirklon which as it uses a clear screen and most importantly encoders rather than pots, means that it doesn't matter what the stored value is. The cirklon is fucking amazing (pardon my French) but it's also fucking expensive (pardon my Italian). For me that is worth it - it's now not only the hub of my studio, my usb-midi device and controller of hardware and software but also very creative.

MPCs are great for live and very stable. But once you're used to different analogue style sequencing tricks are very boring!
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MarcAshken »

that oberkorn on the 303 is rocking my world, does what i need it to an more, amazing
isaaclevy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by isaaclevy »

oblioblioblio wrote:
One of my favourite sequencers cost me 144 dollars.

which one is that? and, what do you like the most about it? (if you dont mind me asking)
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Blacet Binary Zone

totally simple as fck. love it.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i think of an analogue step sequencer as an open ended process, if you build one from modules you can have it do whatever you want it to, it can be very complex, and you can keep on expanding it.
a standard 16 step sequencer in a box can be quite limited i find (obviously depends on the model)

my sequenecer is built from around 30 modules, most of them quite cheap ones, but added together fairly expensive, you could probably get away with something half the size.

at the core is only two simple 8 step sequencers, but with additional smaller 4 step sequential switches, sequence controllers, adders, logic modules and multiplexers etc.. you can have an almost infinte amount of possibilities.

but with a standard 16 step, you'll find yourself doing the same old 4/4 things very quickly.

build your own and get it doing what you really want it to do.