Help out a total amatuer: software recommendations

- ask away
platesofbeef
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Help out a total amatuer: software recommendations

Post by platesofbeef »

For someone starting out, what would you recommend as far as pc based music production software goes? I want it all pc based: no external kit for now. That might come later.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Help out a total amatuer: software recommendations

Post by AK »

I'd personally go with Ableton Live. It's relatively easy to get to grips with and has a large support base with regard to learning curves etc.
DeeperDub
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by DeeperDub »

Ableton +1
techno isn't about the past, it's about the future -

if you can't agree about that, then you're house
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Reason or flstudio. Ableton is great but can be quiet off-putting because everything looks the same. Reason is great because it uses the gear metaphor. Flstudio has great capabilities as well! Good luck!
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
dyte
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dyte »

platesofbeef wrote:For someone starting out, what would you recommend as far as pc based music production software goes? I want it all pc based: no external kit for now. That might come later.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
If you're not wanting to spend loads initially, worth taking a look at reaper as your DAW (http://reaper.fm/), also have a gander at http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/, loads of knowledge on that forum (there's a beginners, section too :))
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i would suggest trying demos of FL studio, Reason, Ableton Live, Studio One and Cubase. the one you feel is the best probably is the best for you.
platesofbeef
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by platesofbeef »

Thanks for all the advice. Demo's..............why didn't I know about demo's: that's my starting point! I'm starting from waaaay back, so I've got a lot of catching up to do.

Also checked out that KVR audio site: that'll come in useful too.

Thanks again all.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Whatever you choose, most are capable of allowing you to produce professional quality music but one thing I don't agree with, is using something for like 6 months and then 'moving on'. The learning curve of many software sequencing environments is a hindrance to creativity. I'd advise a thorough read up on a selection of software and then after choosing, sticking with it. If you get into trying out this and that all the time, you will just end up in circles going nowhere and that's not where you want to be when you are making music.