Backing up your projects made easy using dropbox

- ask away
Camel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Backing up your projects made easy using dropbox

Post by Camel »

I just want to share a quick and easy way to back-up your projects. I lost a lot of old projects after a HD crash and I could have avoided it with these simple steps.

Basically, I've set up a dropbox account and made a symbolic link of my projects folder to the dropbox. It's explained in this article I found on the net:
http://frugle.com/2009/10/using-dropbox ... d-of-sync/

Now, whenever I save my projects in Ableton (collect all and save), it's stored both on my HD and on my dropbox account. :D
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Backing up your projects made easy using dropbox

Post by Stomper »

you can do it with every online file sharing / storing service. megaupload, rapidhsare ect.
problem is, if the service your using is going bankrupt you might end up loosing your backup.
it takes a lot of time to upload and if your HD crashes it also takes time to download. if your using an offline computer, its more time to transfer everything to the new HD.
i think mobile HD is a better solution. its quicker and cheaper in the long run (you pay once and not every month).
Direkt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Backing up your projects made easy using dropbox

Post by Direkt »

There was an article floating around some time ago saying that you could basically use GMail space as a HD, haven't tried that though, but now that I come to thing about it, it's interesting :)

I'll post the link here if I'll find it
bam