Kick Drum Distortion Technique?

- ask away
Quantize
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Kick Drum Distortion Technique?

Post by Quantize »

Not sure if you are using Ableton but you might find this video and free rack useful :

http://www.quantizecourses.com/pages.php/?p=1342

It's a slightly different way of doing what has been mentioned before but makes it easy to try different types of distortion or other effects on various frequencies of your kick drum. There is also a free frequency splitting rack on the site which is good for this technique on any type of a sound.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

I also jumped in on the D16 buy and have been using Devastator to great effect.
It was used to distort the 808 kick in this track (shameless plug time): http://soundcloud.com/eggnchips/xxx/s-jgsYO
I placed it on the kick channel in Ableton and grouped it with 2 channels within, 1 channel distortion and 1 with the dry signal.
I then used the chain feature to make it wet and dry.
There was also some eq.
Direkt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Direkt »

don't really know if someone else posted about this, as i'm in a hurry, but you can also try to mix a fully distorted kick with a normal one and see where that gets you :)
bam
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

i prefer ohmicide for that. you have different type of distortions, 4 possible frequency bands and can tweak it into compressor like behaviour (on the separate freq bands in different amounts) and of course can mix the original signal.... i also made a preset for a groupchannel with an ohmicide setting i like so i can send the bassdrum and other sounds through this channel so these sound influence each other. (a distorted hihats sounds different with bass underneath for example)...
also decapitator from soundtoys is very good for distortion. very warm. but on the other hand. still nothing beats hardware distortion units.
techno made me do it
devontodetroit
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by devontodetroit »

I'm just trying out Ohmicide, Pretty good so far if a little confusing to use.. Bad layout on all these ohmforce vsts
devontodetroit
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by devontodetroit »

Can you get any sidechaining going with this Ohmicide?
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

no sidechaining as far as i know. i think you can find some tutorials on youtube for the ohmicide.
it´s worth getting into it. most flexible distortion plug i know.
i used it also on the master sometimes for a gritty feel.
directly compared i think the d16 and soundtoys stuff are a bit warmer/rounder sounding but they dont give you the options ohmicide has.
techno made me do it