- ask away
zarbeat
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Is being a DJ that easy WTF???

Post by zarbeat »

IT seems that im just wasting my time here :( what a shame ..RIP MNML.NL

MOD EDIT: Original Topic
Hi guys !! IT has had been a wile since I posted anything I figure what a heck!! here is a very interesting post for those afraid of starting djing again lol

I mainly do Live PA's I stopped spinning about 3 or 4 years ago due to the lack of demand for Techno and mainly promoter/clic politics surrounding the city where I live(the discussion to the city scene will be irrelevant to this post so please very respectfully fudge off) I tough hey maybe if I start doing live pa's ill be able to play more !! NOT anyhow Im glad I stopped and got into production in stead I could not being happier, how ever I got booked to play a few gigs during the same w-end and I really haven't had the time to create 3 or 4 different live sets due to some personal reasons involving a new job and moving to a different appt etc , so I suddently was like mmmm why not trying djing again I have an Ohm 64 that I have been ding to take out of the studio and a Maschine that will allow me to be a bit more interactive with the set in case the 2 decks 8 samplers in the new Traktor pro 2 are not enough , I spend some time figuring out how to MIDI map stuff to the ohm and an iPad witch turned into hell after a few hrs of having to figure out the crazy way to map stuff on Traktor since I wast very familiar with the latest versions , once I got that out of the way had to figure out how to sync the maschine to traktor using only one mac after the success and gratification of felling like Im still cut up to this new decade technology I was like yes now the real fun begins is time to mix some good O'l techno !! surprisingly enough after I anylise a bunch of tracks I had been digging lately and pressing the synck and play on each deck I was like whaaaaaaaaaat this is so freaking simple no wonder why there is over 20 djs on my block !! Im a bit confused but at the same time happy for being able to mix some tracks with no beat matching problems it allow me to concentrate on the maschine and the samplers in case some of those track need to be spiced up a bit more , the week/ gigsend came and went full of great people and really decent sound systems lets close this statement by saying: while playing, the whole mix was seamlessly mixed in and I was able to pull it out and made it look like I had been djing for a really really long time how ever I get really concerned since it was pretty simple to do so how many more djs will be in 3 more years in my block, City, Country and will piracy get only worst due to the lack of of laws and a proper security in the net I mean im no big producer an my tracks have been stole and added to some crazy compilation of some weird label , uploded to many many sharing sites WTF I really dont care much about the money but im sure the label owners dont think the same way since there are cost involved in making a simple 3 or 4 track ep such Mastering, remixers and the share that the store is going to keep of the final sale while Dj was pretty fun and stress free I think if you have some idea or past experience in djing entering the digital world is as easy as typing this post !! personal comments and Perspectives of not only welcome but encourage and thanks for taking the time to read this!!

http://www.residentadvisor.net/dj/zarbeat
Last edited by zarbeat on Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Is being a DJ that easy WTF???

Post by Barfunkel »

The technical aspects of DJ'ing are only a small part of it, mostly it's about having a kick ass record (or file, these days) collection and a vast knowledge of music in general. A monkey can be taught to beatmatch in a few days, it's the easiest part of it.

I personally been digging for music for over 10 years now and my knowledge about music isn't nowhere near enough to call myself a good DJ. It takes lots of time and dedication and most importantly, taste.
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

This video has over 10 million hits.

Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

Is that supposed to make fun of dj culture or is that for real? A bit hard to tell sometimes...

Anyhow, how that got 10 million hits and any good DJ video has 10k tops is beyond me. Sometimes I feel I just don't understand people.
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

It is for real.

I'm not trying to read too far into it but it seems like an indicator of the way electronic music is heading, at least in the US, for the younger generation. Y'know, the generation that grew up with the internet in their back pocket.

The DJ "scene" has quite literally been blown wide open by the digital revolution. Not sure how it is in other countries but if you look at the websites of the "big box" electronics retailers (Guitar Center, Musician's Friend, Zzounds, Sam Ash, etc) they don't even bother listing turntables or mixers any more. It's all those new digital Hercules type consoles.

This younger generation has grown up in this age. They don't know much else. This is what DJing is to them (neatly boxed consoles to control Traktor, etc) DJing to them is not a vinyl purist holding long blends.
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

so you think that because you can hit a button and sync the tracks, it's therefor easy?

i'm going to walk away from this one before i get really grumpy.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
zarbeat
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by zarbeat »

RIP MNML.NL
Last edited by zarbeat on Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.