Is being a DJ that easy WTF???

- ask away
dubgil2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Is being a DJ that easy WTF???

Post by dubgil2 »

I'll tell you what is EASY bout DJ'ing today as opposed to yesterday, 3things:

- Acquiring the music: (whether paid for/stolen mp3's are helluva lot cheper than wax)
- Acquiring the equipment: A decent laptop, software (often cracked) soundcard, midi controller (relatively less expensive then what 2 new SL1200s, needles, crates, Vestax mixer used to cost)
- Beatmatching: I was always galloping when I DJ'd with wax, made it challenging. Today, the software allows you to focus on other things.

other than those 3 I can't see what else is easy, track knowledge, knowing how read the crowd, when to put the floor stompers on etc, that takes a lot of effort that no mouse click can achieve, ONLY EXPERIENCE.

At heart, I can appreciate the vinyl DJ as that's my generation, but 250,000 kids in Vegas this past weekend were willing to pay obscene amounts of money and bear the crazy heat, to listen to approx 150 dj's and their "EASY" methods... something must be right (or wrong) about the DJ today.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

i found the original topic
Hi guys !! IT has had been a wile since I posted anything I figure what a heck!! here is a very interesting post for those afraid of starting djing again lol

I mainly do Live PA's I stopped spinning about 3 or 4 years ago due to the lack of demand for Techno and mainly promoter/clic politics surrounding the city where I live(the discussion to the city scene will be irrelevant to this post so please very respectfully fudge off) I tough hey maybe if I start doing live pa's ill be able to play more !! NOT anyhow Im glad I stopped and got into production in stead I could not being happier, how ever I got booked to play a few gigs during the same w-end and I really haven't had the time to create 3 or 4 different live sets due to some personal reasons involving a new job and moving to a different appt etc , so I suddently was like mmmm why not trying djing again I have an Ohm 64 that I have been ding to take out of the studio and a Maschine that will allow me to be a bit more interactive with the set in case the 2 decks 8 samplers in the new Traktor pro 2 are not enough , I spend some time figuring out how to MIDI map stuff to the ohm and an iPad witch turned into hell after a few hrs of having to figure out the crazy way to map stuff on Traktor since I wast very familiar with the latest versions , once I got that out of the way had to figure out how to sync the maschine to traktor using only one mac after the success and gratification of felling like Im still cut up to this new decade technology I was like yes now the real fun begins is time to mix some good O'l techno !! surprisingly enough after I anylise a bunch of tracks I had been digging lately and pressing the synck and play on each deck I was like whaaaaaaaaaat this is so freaking simple no wonder why there is over 20 djs on my block !! Im a bit confused but at the same time happy for being able to mix some tracks with no beat matching problems it allow me to concentrate on the maschine and the samplers in case some of those track need to be spiced up a bit more , the week/ gigsend came and went full of great people and really decent sound systems lets close this statement by saying: while playing, the whole mix was seamlessly mixed in and I was able to pull it out and made it look like I had been djing for a really really long time how ever I get really concerned since it was pretty simple to do so how many more djs will be in 3 more years in my block, City, Country and will piracy get only worst due to the lack of of laws and a proper security in the net I mean im no big producer an my tracks have been stole and added to some crazy compilation of some weird label , uploded to many many sharing sites WTF I really dont care much about the money but im sure the label owners dont think the same way since there are cost involved in making a simple 3 or 4 track ep such Mastering, remixers and the share that the store is going to keep of the final sale while Dj was pretty fun and stress free I think if you have some idea or past experience in djing entering the digital world is as easy as typing this post !! personal comments and Perspectives of not only welcome but encourage and thanks for taking the time to read this!!

http://www.residentadvisor.net/dj/zarbeat
for those who are interested.
klankeffect
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by klankeffect »

why to post this topic in the first place, i find it lame to start this discussion i am verry sorry,
dj = eazy thats bullocks

anyway if you are such a purist, so play with youre vynils , if you like to play with traktor or ableton,... and you can amuse the people and yourselves and make some money out of it , nice job
btw peter van hoesen,... is playing ableton, speedy j, liebing, t47 you are telling those guys what to like ore not common, all the time those silly comments,
anyway zarbeat, did i saw you playing live allready ??
lessizmoremoreizless
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

Themis wrote:i found the original topic
Hi guys !! IT has had been a wile since I posted anything I figure what a heck!! here is a very interesting post for those afraid of starting djing again lol

I mainly do Live PA's I stopped spinning about 3 or 4 years ago due to the lack of demand for Techno and mainly promoter/clic politics surrounding the city where I live(the discussion to the city scene will be irrelevant to this post so please very respectfully fudge off) I tough hey maybe if I start doing live pa's ill be able to play more !! NOT anyhow Im glad I stopped and got into production in stead I could not being happier, how ever I got booked to play a few gigs during the same w-end and I really haven't had the time to create 3 or 4 different live sets due to some personal reasons involving a new job and moving to a different appt etc , so I suddently was like mmmm why not trying djing again I have an Ohm 64 that I have been ding to take out of the studio and a Maschine that will allow me to be a bit more interactive with the set in case the 2 decks 8 samplers in the new Traktor pro 2 are not enough , I spend some time figuring out how to MIDI map stuff to the ohm and an iPad witch turned into hell after a few hrs of having to figure out the crazy way to map stuff on Traktor since I wast very familiar with the latest versions , once I got that out of the way had to figure out how to sync the maschine to traktor using only one mac after the success and gratification of felling like Im still cut up to this new decade technology I was like yes now the real fun begins is time to mix some good O'l techno !! surprisingly enough after I anylise a bunch of tracks I had been digging lately and pressing the synck and play on each deck I was like whaaaaaaaaaat this is so freaking simple no wonder why there is over 20 djs on my block !! Im a bit confused but at the same time happy for being able to mix some tracks with no beat matching problems it allow me to concentrate on the maschine and the samplers in case some of those track need to be spiced up a bit more , the week/ gigsend came and went full of great people and really decent sound systems lets close this statement by saying: while playing, the whole mix was seamlessly mixed in and I was able to pull it out and made it look like I had been djing for a really really long time how ever I get really concerned since it was pretty simple to do so how many more djs will be in 3 more years in my block, City, Country and will piracy get only worst due to the lack of of laws and a proper security in the net I mean im no big producer an my tracks have been stole and added to some crazy compilation of some weird label , uploded to many many sharing sites WTF I really dont care much about the money but im sure the label owners dont think the same way since there are cost involved in making a simple 3 or 4 track ep such Mastering, remixers and the share that the store is going to keep of the final sale while Dj was pretty fun and stress free I think if you have some idea or past experience in djing entering the digital world is as easy as typing this post !! personal comments and Perspectives of not only welcome but encourage and thanks for taking the time to read this!!

http://www.residentadvisor.net/dj/zarbeat
for those who are interested.
The language alone was enough to make one ill...
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

some full stops would have been nice.